saltwater alternative

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lady Elizabeth

Aquarium Advice Regular
i know i sound silly but i never had any experience with SW. i have a freshwater tank and i want to put up a SW. i heard that i need to buy SW in the LFS, but that would be a hassle cause the LFS is so far from my house. is there any alternative to saltwater? ive heard of instant ocean but i really dont know how to use it properly... :? help...

Instant ocean is Salt to make saltwater. You will see several different types of mixes out there, but they all give you the same basic thing....saltwater. Mixing is not difficult..just takes a little practice.

Have you decided what kind of tank you want? Fish only, Fish with live rock, or Reef tank.

I have several good articles that will get you started if you would like to read them.

You can buy salt mixes to make seawater. All you do is add the right amount to some water in a bucket. Mix it until it is clear (usually 12 hours or so) and you have saltwater. Than just check the salinity levels with a hydrometer or refractometer and your set to go. It is really very easy and would recomend Instant Ocean as the salt mix f choice!

Instant Ocean and a number of other bagged/box salt would be better than relying on a distant LFS anyway IMO. You can easily mix your own and mail order salt if needed. The LFS would most likely carry RO/DI wtaer that you could use to mix your own though. Check other water supply sources in yur area to see if they have it. Tap water to mix with can often have too much phosphate or other unwanted chemicals. The bagged salt mix will give you the instructions for the amount of salt and water to mix to obtain desired aslinity levels. Gonna need a hydrometer to measue the results.

Read one of the good start-up books. Robert Fenner's Conscientious Marine Aquarist is a good one. And don't rely too much on "what you hear". Do some research. Surf on it.

you should mix your water at least 24 hours and preferably 2+ days before using it. Salt reactions keep happening after it visibly disappears.

I second the advice on Fenner's book. Read a lot before you buy anything. I would have saved a few hundred if I had taken this advice.

il always remember that, i have a friend who put up a SW tank and all his fishes died... he was buying water from the LFS and some of the fishes they gave him were sick and too weak to adjust to their new environment. he wasted a lot of money and not to mention those poor fishes... :cry: i dont want that to happen to me... im glad you guys are there to help, thanks :D

Back
Top Bottom