Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-21-2004, 08:55 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
saltwater alternative

i know i sound silly but i never had any experience with SW. i have a freshwater tank and i want to put up a SW. i heard that i need to buy SW in the LFS, but that would be a hassle cause the LFS is so far from my house. is there any alternative to saltwater? ive heard of instant ocean but i really dont know how to use it properly... help...

Lady Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 09:00 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Instant ocean is Salt to make saltwater. You will see several different types of mixes out there, but they all give you the same basic thing....saltwater. Mixing is not difficult..just takes a little practice.

Have you decided what kind of tank you want? Fish only, Fish with live rock, or Reef tank.

I have several good articles that will get you started if you would like to read them.

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
SquishyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 09:02 AM   #3
You can buy salt mixes to make seawater. All you do is add the right amount to some water in a bucket. Mix it until it is clear (usually 12 hours or so) and you have saltwater. Than just check the salinity levels with a hydrometer or refractometer and your set to go. It is really very easy and would recomend Instant Ocean as the salt mix f choice!
captivereefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 09:05 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Instant Ocean and a number of other bagged/box salt would be better than relying on a distant LFS anyway IMO. You can easily mix your own and mail order salt if needed. The LFS would most likely carry RO/DI wtaer that you could use to mix your own though. Check other water supply sources in yur area to see if they have it. Tap water to mix with can often have too much phosphate or other unwanted chemicals. The bagged salt mix will give you the instructions for the amount of salt and water to mix to obtain desired aslinity levels. Gonna need a hydrometer to measue the results.

Read one of the good start-up books. Robert Fenner's Conscientious Marine Aquarist is a good one. And don't rely too much on "what you hear". Do some research. Surf on it.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 11:14 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular
thanks.. i have decided on a reef tank, il update you guys after i put up my tank
Old 10-22-2004, 11:29 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to jaiden
you should mix your water at least 24 hours and preferably 2+ days before using it. Salt reactions keep happening after it visibly disappears.

I second the advice on Fenner's book. Read a lot before you buy anything. I would have saved a few hundred if I had taken this advice.
54g all-glass bowfront corner planted FW

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Fluorite Black sand and gravel
jaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 11:40 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via MSN to SoylentGrundy
I'm agreeing with jaiden on the research. You can never have too many books on SW.
Don't dream it, be it.
SoylentGrundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 02:19 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular
il always remember that, i have a friend who put up a SW tank and all his fishes died... he was buying water from the LFS and some of the fishes they gave him were sick and too weak to adjust to their new environment. he wasted a lot of money and not to mention those poor fishes... i dont want that to happen to me... im glad you guys are there to help, thanks

salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com