Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-09-2014, 03:51 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutrag View Post
The parasite goes through three different phases in its life cycle. It encysts on the fish, which is the form that you see. Then, it drops off the fish onto the substrate where it reproduces. Then the "babies" become free-swimming and look for a host to infect to repeat the cycle. So, in a manner of speaking it can get on your rocks and corals. This is why once your tank is infected, the recommendation is to let the tank go fallow (no fish) for 60 days. Essentially you starve the parasite and it dies out. Incidentally, the parasite is only considered treatable in that free-swimming stage. Otherwise, medications don't affect it unless used at a strength that is kills the patient also.

Moral of the story? All new fish need to go through a quarantine period outside of the display to avoid introducing the parasite. If the fish shows signs in quarantine, you treat there where the treatment doesn't affect your inverts or other healthy fish. Unfortunately, a lot of people (myself included) learn this lesson the hard way.

I appreciate the response. I guess I worded my question wrong, I knew it would be on the rock but I was verifying that with the 6-9 week fish less period, the ich has nothing to latch onto so it dies. This is my first go around at a saltwater tank and I want to make sure I am doing things right when it comes to the diseases (obviously I didn't expect this). The quarantine tanks I have are all 20 longs. Will the tang be okay in a 20 long for 6 weeks? One small piece of live rock is in there

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 12-09-2014, 04:14 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFAquariums1 View Post
I appreciate the response. I guess I worded my question wrong, I knew it would be on the rock but I was verifying that with the 6-9 week fish less period, the ich has nothing to latch onto so it dies. This is my first go around at a saltwater tank and I want to make sure I am doing things right when it comes to the diseases (obviously I didn't expect this). The quarantine tanks I have are all 20 longs. Will the tang be okay in a 20 long for 6 weeks? One small piece of live rock is in there

He should be able to manage. The keys to keeping the fish happy while in quarantine are 1) Make sure ammonia and nitrite are controlled. Seeding with a piece of live rock will help. I use foam black in an Aqua Clear filter. I keep the blocks in my sump until I need to set up a QT. Regardless of how you seed the tank with bacteria, it should be a one-way trip since you don't want to put any meds back into your display. and 2) Make sure no one is bullied. you should probably separate the tang from the other fish in order to give him some room if you can. Be sure that everyone keeps eating as well.

Old 12-09-2014, 09:05 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I'll just chime in I guess. lol I can pretty much just confirm that you have been given the proper advice.. A separate tank to treat all the fish and leave fallow for minimum 6-8 weeks. It's horrible, I know, seems like forever but it's really the only way to be sure it is out of the tank. You jump the gun and you risk going through this all over again. Some say there is ich in every tank, me, I don't think so. I have never had it and have gone through like 20 tanks at least in the last five years. I have quarantined here and there, mostly when introducing the older tangs I have from a few years ago.
This is only my opinion, and I am sure some will disagree, but I think a 1.5 inch fish, even a tang, will be ok for MAX 6 months in your size tank. I have noticed that after the first 6 months they grow like weeds, but for the first few they dont seem to grow as quick. just my experience. lol BUT now, that tang is going into an even smaller tank for about 2 months, so you are quickly running out of time to upgrade or rehome.
I would never suggest that anyone get a tang like you have and have no intention on upgrading, but on the other hand, I would also urge anyone who wants tangs to have the proper size tank before they buy the fish. Life happens, money runs out and that upgrade just doesnt seem to ever happen. Just my two cents.

But good luck, you have the advice you need to beat this so you should do fine.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:43 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
I'll just chime in I guess. lol I can pretty much just confirm that you have been given the proper advice.. A separate tank to treat all the fish and leave fallow for minimum 6-8 weeks. It's horrible, I know, seems like forever but it's really the only way to be sure it is out of the tank. You jump the gun and you risk going through this all over again. Some say there is ich in every tank, me, I don't think so. I have never had it and have gone through like 20 tanks at least in the last five years. I have quarantined here and there, mostly when introducing the older tangs I have from a few years ago.
This is only my opinion, and I am sure some will disagree, but I think a 1.5 inch fish, even a tang, will be ok for MAX 6 months in your size tank. I have noticed that after the first 6 months they grow like weeds, but for the first few they dont seem to grow as quick. just my experience. lol BUT now, that tang is going into an even smaller tank for about 2 months, so you are quickly running out of time to upgrade or rehome.
I would never suggest that anyone get a tang like you have and have no intention on upgrading, but on the other hand, I would also urge anyone who wants tangs to have the proper size tank before they buy the fish. Life happens, money runs out and that upgrade just doesnt seem to ever happen. Just my two cents.

But good luck, you have the advice you need to beat this so you should do fine.

I appreciate the confirmation. I get the "money runs out comment" but I already have the tank. I thoroughly think through all upgrades and such first. I have the whole new setup, just doing some re arranging first before setting it up

Tags
ate, ich, salt, saltwater, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com