Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-08-2014, 11:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Saltwater ich

Hi all this is my first run with saltwater ich. I have 2 clowns, 1 sailfin tang, a decent sized colony of green star polyps, and a orange mushroom. I quarantined all fish for 1 week and none showed signs of ich until they were in the tank..... Is it handled the same way as freshwater ich? And are my corals going to be effected by it?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 12-09-2014, 12:18 AM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

No, it is not like freshwater ich. In salt, it can only be solved by either copper medication or hypo. Both of which need a hospital tank. You need to treat for 6-8 weeks as this is the length of the life cycle of ich and will prevent any further issues in the display when it becomes fallow.
Keep in mind that ich comes about from stressed out fish. I would look at the parameters of the tank as well as the size of the tank in regards to space for the fish, specifically the tang, and territories.
In regards to the coral, they can not get ich.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:16 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

It is a juvenile tang, I know it will need a large tank as it grows but for now he's about 1.5 inches in a 55 gallon tank. They all seem extremely healthy otherwise and are very active

Old 12-09-2014, 08:01 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Also, can a fresh water dip get the ich off the fish before putting into a hospital tank?

Old 12-09-2014, 11:18 AM   #5
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Size doesn't have much to do with the fact that they are open water swimmers. Besides a very small amount of tangs, like a kole, they need at least 6 ft of swimming room to keep healthy. They are always on the go and it has even been theorized that this constant swimming even helps with keeping parasites off of them...though no backing towards this.
And in terms of the fish being healthy, there is ich in your tank they are not healthy. A freshwater dip will probably take the cyst stage of ich off of your fish, but it really won't do anything besides this. Just get your fish into your hospital tank so you can treat and keep your display fallow for 6-8 weeks.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 11:38 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Fw dips are extremely stressful and should be done as a last ditch effort if the infestation has gotten out of hand.

bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 02:45 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Size doesn't have much to do with the fact that they are open water swimmers. Besides a very small amount of tangs, like a kole, they need at least 6 ft of swimming room to keep healthy. They are always on the go and it has even been theorized that this constant swimming even helps with keeping parasites off of them...though no backing towards this.
And in terms of the fish being healthy, there is ich in your tank they are not healthy. A freshwater dip will probably take the cyst stage of ich off of your fish, but it really won't do anything besides this. Just get your fish into your hospital tank so you can treat and keep your display fallow for 6-8 weeks.

I understand they are open water Swimmers, the tank he is in has a large amount of swimming space. Within the next couple of months he will be housed in a much larger tank.

As far as healthy goes, I'm well aware they are not healthy because they have ich. What I am saying is they were healthy up until this point and are still acting like nothing is wrong. They're not rubbing up on the rocks or anything like that they are also all eating great.

This is my first go around with saltwater ich, I've never had it before. The ich won't attach to corals or the rock correct?

Old 12-09-2014, 02:55 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFAquariums1 View Post
I understand they are open water Swimmers, the tank he is in has a large amount of swimming space. Within the next couple of months he will be housed in a much larger tank.

As far as healthy goes, I'm well aware they are not healthy because they have ich. What I am saying is they were healthy up until this point and are still acting like nothing is wrong. They're not rubbing up on the rocks or anything like that they are also all eating great.

This is my first go around with saltwater ich, I've never had it before. The ich won't attach to corals or the rock correct?

The parasite goes through three different phases in its life cycle. It encysts on the fish, which is the form that you see. Then, it drops off the fish onto the substrate where it reproduces. Then the "babies" become free-swimming and look for a host to infect to repeat the cycle. So, in a manner of speaking it can get on your rocks and corals. This is why once your tank is infected, the recommendation is to let the tank go fallow (no fish) for 60 days. Essentially you starve the parasite and it dies out. Incidentally, the parasite is only considered treatable in that free-swimming stage. Otherwise, medications don't affect it unless used at a strength that is kills the patient also.

Moral of the story? All new fish need to go through a quarantine period outside of the display to avoid introducing the parasite. If the fish shows signs in quarantine, you treat there where the treatment doesn't affect your inverts or other healthy fish. Unfortunately, a lot of people (myself included) learn this lesson the hard way.
Old 12-09-2014, 03:23 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Saltwater ich

Bottom line is a tank to small for a fish (even juveniles) stresses the fish and a stressed fish leads to disease/parasites. Especially with tangs

Old 12-09-2014, 03:46 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I understand fish, and how they work. I'm just confused as to how this tang is to big for a 55 gallon? It will only be in the tank for 6 months or so, and the rock is low, gives about 8 foot of swimming room....... That seems reasonable to me?

Tags
ate, ich, salt, saltwater, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com