Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-29-2012, 08:33 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I wanted to do the hypo treatment a month ago but I thought I would try a uv sterelizer first to see if it would over power the crypt...but now I'm definitely gonna do it...I have a pair of black and whites there are a mates pair and the 2 true peculars get on well with them they also sleep together I will keeps eyes on them do u think the rest of the fish are compatable..also anything else u think I should do advice is much appriciated ...the most healthy fish I have is the lemonpeel dwarf angel fish he has ne'er shown signs of ich...he eats well and plays alot....

Old 01-29-2012, 08:35 PM   #12

One other thing during the hypo treatment do I leave everything running on the fish free display tank or just the heaters

Old 01-29-2012, 09:06 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistablitz View Post
One other thing during the hypo treatment do I leave everything running on the fish free display tank or just the heaters
hypo is the way to go IMO and IME,,i always do hypo on every new fish i get..It is safe and very humane ,,..
Leave your DT running normal ...
Read this on hypo,very informative
hypoOSTtherapyart.htm
FTMMWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTMMWS

hypo is the way to go IMO and IME,,i always do hypo on every new fish i get..It is safe and very humane ,,..
Leave your DT running normal ...
Read this on hypo,very informative
hypoOSTtherapyart.htm
Thanks I'm gonna do it and after I'll use the extra tank as quarantine for new additions if any or housing sick fish healthy again..thanks for the link very helpful ..do the fish behave different during hypo and how low do u recommend the salinity be in your opinion
Old 01-29-2012, 09:24 PM   #15

Thanks how low would u go on hypo salinity in regards to specific gravity
Old 01-29-2012, 10:03 PM   #16

That was really informative gonna get on it soon as
Old 01-30-2012, 12:22 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Skype™ to tsharkey
When I started sw I had a huge outbreak of ick. But I fixed that really quick with a diatom filter. Not only does it kill ick fast but also that dreaded brown algae you get when starting sw. It's a great filter and I highly recommend it! It will kill any parasites in an aquarium (fresh or sw) also any free floating algae. They are about $130. I got mine from ThatPetPlace.com. Hook up is easy just like a canister filter. You just have refill/recharge the filter with diatom powder every month or two. A great investment. Don't ever have to mess with chemicals again. Also it will not kill coralline algae.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:51 PM   #18

Thanks for the advice but I've been led to Beleive the only way to rid the tank of ick and maintain a ich free aquarium is to go hypo....I would love to try your way first tho...I bought a massive uv steriliser for the job which I was told would do it but to be fair it hasn't helped much
Old 01-30-2012, 02:53 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Uv and filters will not get rid of ich in a tank. A uv will kill whatever goes by it's light but thats it. the ich in the sand will still be there. :-(

If it were me I'd qt the fish and do hypo in that tank and leave the main tank without fish for 6-8 weeks to be sure it's really gone.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:55 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistablitz View Post
Thanks for the advice but I've been led to Beleive the only way to rid the tank of ick and maintain a ich free aquarium is to go hypo....I would love to try your way first tho...I bought a massive uv steriliser for the job which I was told would do it but to be fair it hasn't helped much
..or copper,,these are the only 2 tried and true methods,and you must QT all future fish ....

EDIT:+1 carey

FTMMWS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ick, salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com