Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-30-2012, 03:21 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
Uv and filters will not get rid of ich in a tank. A uv will kill whatever goes by it's light but thats it. the ich in the sand will still be there. :-(

If it were me I'd qt the fish and do hypo in that tank and leave the main tank without fish for 6-8 weeks to be sure it's really gone.
That's what I want to do Carey I bought the uv to dwindle the population of free swimmers so I wanted to ask u Carey do I keep the fish under hypo for the whole 6-8 weeks or do I gradually raise the level till its back to normal but keep fish in the quarantine tank with normal salt levels till the ich in the display tank dies out...rather than having the fish under hypo for 8 weeks I was thinking more like 2 weeks then slowly over 2 weeks raise the salinity back to 1024....I asked If the Lfs would house my invertebrates do I could put my display tank under hypo so that way I don't need to move them...or in worse case I could move the non fish population to the 50 gal which I currently use as a reservoir for my auto top up....what advice do u recommend...don't wanna harm the rock

Old 01-30-2012, 03:23 PM   #22

Or should I keep them in hypo for 8 weeks but 1008 for 3 weeks then gradually raise it over 5 ...I have some beautifull fish I really wanna save them....,.i took your advice and took the regal back

Old 01-30-2012, 03:27 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

You read the info i linked so you know your fish will be fine in hypo for 8 weeks and you need to keep your tank fallow for that same period..I have done hypo on every fish i ever got and never lost one due to hyposalinity
FTMMWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:29 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yep, keeping the infected fish at the hypo salinity level should be fine.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:30 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTMMWS
You read the info i linked so you know your fish will be fine in hypo for 8 weeks and you need to keep your tank fallow for that same period..
What do u mean when u say fallow sorry my friend I am quite new so don't know all the words proper....sorry
Old 01-30-2012, 03:31 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Fallow, no fish at all.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:33 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your display tank has to remain empty ,no fish=fallow ..Inverts can stay and you do not need to put your main tank through hypo,just the fish..The ick will die off without a fish to host ..8 weeks is the key though..i would do the full 8 weeks fallow ,and 4 weeks of hypo at 1.008 then raise very slowly still keeping hypo conditions in QT for 3 more weeks
Old 01-30-2012, 03:33 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
Fallow, no fish at all.
Man u guys rock I love u guys thank h so much .like in the info I think I should go to around 1012 for a decent margin of error ...cheers
Old 01-30-2012, 03:36 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTMMWS
Your display tank has to remain empty ,no fish=fallow ..Inverts can stay and you do not need to put your main tank through hypo,just the fish..The ick will die off without a fish to host ..8 weeks is the key though..i would do the full 8 weeks fallow ,and 4 weeks of hypo at 1.008 then raise in QT

Then raise it slowly over the course of the 4 remaining weeks? Gonna give it a go ..will admit an a bit scared but long as u guys are here Im sure I'll be fine ....so am I right in saying 1008 for 4 weeks then slowly raise it over 4 weeks while keeping the dt fallow....?
Old 01-30-2012, 03:37 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistablitz View Post
Man u guys rock I love u guys thank h so much .like in the info I think I should go to around 1012 for a decent margin of error ...cheers
Why?Are you isolating your fish to a QT..I would do 1.008 which is what the info declares to be FULL hypo and no chance of ich surviving it

Tags
ick, salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com