Saltwater ick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scottieandhelen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Please help my new sail fin tang has what looks to be ick? Any home cures my water tested fine

QT tank and copper. There is a forum on here all bout ich. Sorry to hear about your case.

Hyposalinity or copper treatments in a QT combined with leaving your DT fallow for about six weeks are the only proven cure. Other "treatments" that you see out there do not eliminate the parasite, therefor leaving it alive and ready to come back in the future.

Almost hate to ask, but what size tank do you have that Sailfin tang in? Anything less than a six foot tank is likely to stress the tang, which decreases immunity, which makes them more susceptible to Ich or other nasty things. Garlic treated food helps boost immunity, but is not a cure.

There are all sorts of links to articles on marine Ich. Read those so you understand how this parasite works. Read articles on treatment so you understand how to treat this properly.

We have it in a 30 gallon right now. It was a life of death freebie. My friend bought her and he also has a yellow tang ( bought from the same guy) and didn't warn him about two tangs in the same tank. So I took her I m getting a 75 gallon next week. I do know tangs need lots of room to hide. I just bought some sergeants copper shield and put her in a qt tank but its the only other tank I had its 10 gallons hoping she pulls through she is such a beautiful fish. Thank you for the advice. I had salt tanks for ten years then a five year break and I have never had to deal with ick. This tank I have now is only two weeks old I cured all my rock out of my old 100 gallon which sat dormant for about five years and now I'm fighting diatoms in it.

If I quarantine the fish that appears to have ich for six weeks, and no other fish in the dt shows signs of Ich attaching on to them, is it safe to say the ich didn't make it through its life cycle in the dt?

Sorry for your loss,if there is a next time try hyposalinity its alot less stressful one the fish...

Back
Top Bottom