Sand Sifting Starfish loosing a leg!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baldyguy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all had my sand sifter for a year and now found him tucked away with what looks like a leg coming off.......normally he is roaming the tank doing his job but today hasn't moved.

None of the other tank mates are interested in him and all water params are spot on.

Is this just a starfish thing/reproduction method and be fine or a problem?

many thanks in advance for any advice.

This is a problem
What size tank do you have how old is the tank?
Have you dosed anything in the tank ?
What are your perameters ?
Do you do weekly, monthly water changes ?
Alot of times this is the beginning of the end . Sand sifters require a large sand bed to clean since they will deplete them usually in a matter of months they need to have foods supplimented .. They can regerate the limb but usually this is the demise of them ...

System is 8ftx2ftx2ft deep sand base throughout and only 2 in there........other is doing fine. Only doing regular top offs twice weekly and PWC fortnightly.........only other dosing is Trace elements which i use the same always..............all params are spot on

He's probably on his way out I hate to say. Once they have no nutrition available in the sand anymore they seem to "melt" away IME.

Might try to place some meaty food under him. White fish filet, shrimp, etc (raw of course).

It might help as someone said to put some food under him. Make it small enough that he can cover it and the other fish not pull it out from under hin.

Back
Top Bottom