Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-07-2006, 01:49 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Moved to sick fish/coral forum:

Getting the no3 closer to 5 ppm or less will help but don’t do massive (30+%) pwc to accomplish it since a wild ph/sg change will cause it more stress then the no3 being at 20 ppm. I’d do 15% pwc every other day with well aged (temp/ph/sg matching main and mixed with ph for 24+ hours) SW until you get your no3 at least <10 ppm.

Also keeping the raw shrimp piece about the size of your pinky fingernail should be more then large enough. You only want to feed once a week at most.

Since you have had it a couple of weeks now I’d not guess that it was improperly acclimated but did you slowly drip acclimate it for 2+ hours and not expose to air?

IMO your tank is too new (1 ½ months old) for any starfish since it really hasn’t fully stabilized yet. I hope it survives but IME if they have already started to loose a leg it will have a hard time getting better.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 02:08 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Seems like when they start "melting" away, they are starving and nothing to do at that point - but not get another. Consider nassarius snails for your sandbed instead IMO.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 02:35 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

poor poor starfish.

Got about a 2-3" sand bed. About 1/2 of that is crushed coral.

Originally the curshed coral was on the bottom and live sand on top of that, but when live rock was added, some of the crushed coral is now sitting on top.

I'll try the shrimp thing tonight and get water ready for a change tomorrow.

This morning one of it's other legs looked like a flattened pillow.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:33 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

tank too new and the CC will always work its way to the top. And IMO this will hurt the SS star. there sand sifting not CC sifting. Its on its way out and IMO nothing to do. If you get another IMO the same thing will happen. These stars need a large mature tank with no other competition for food.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 10:41 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thank you all for the replies and advice.

Last night was just a little too little and too late.

When I came home, the cleaner (skunk) shrimp was right on top of the starfish and a hermit crab right beside. It was sad really, with the starfish's legs all twisted, somewhat deflated, and slightly torn in places.

Originally, I did not purchase the star. It just came as a freebie with the liverock I got from malkore.

I do not plan on getting another sand sifter in the near future.

Now, do I leave it in there to feed the 'other' critters or should I take it out?
Old 06-08-2006, 11:32 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to FishFrik
IMO, take it out. Even if the clean up crew is taking care of it, u don't want to overfeed the crew

Tags
dyi, dying, sand, star

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com