Saving a Orange Spotted FileFish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaReefer

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello everyone I work at Pet Supplies Plus and on thrusday we got in our fish. In the Saltwater there was a FileFish. The Fish came in with ich and wasent going to get put into our system so I took him home with me instead of him getting frozen. Now I have got the Ich off but I keep getting mixed info on this fish. I read that the only food they eat is Acropora, and soon after shipping they die. I have the fish in a QT. He hasnt ate anything (no acro) I placed some xenia in there to see if he would eat any with no success. I have live adult brine and flake and some mysis all without him eating. This is a beautiful fish and I would like for it to survive even if it means me getting rid of him. Does anyone want him? Also if I bought some acro and placed it into my main tank would he go after any other life forms in my tank. I am willing to buy acro just for him to eat if no one is willing to take him TIA

Attachments

• filefish_3.jpg
    filefish_3.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 171
What a noble endeavor. I wish I knew what to tell you to do. Best of luck.

Dont know what to tell you but thanks for saving the fish. If nothing else since my recent mishap with my new clowns. I lost a fish and you saved one. :)

"""Oxymonacanthus longirostris (Bloch & Schneider 1801), the Harlequin Filefish or Orange Spotted Filefish in the aquarium interest. The most commonly offered member of the family... and rarely alive for more than a week in captivity. In the wild almost only eats Acropora polyps."""

Hope this helps. Sorry for the bad news. Get acropora if you can afford to feed him this all the time. If not he WILL DIE.

its still alive, ich is gone, and he's been nipping at xenia and some brine. but we've still got him QT'd til we're sure hes constantly eating at least brine.

Back
Top Bottom