Scarlet Hermit Crab Not Moving Much... Molting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nanofowlrboy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got a new Scarlet Red Hermit Crab about over 2 weeks ago, he was moving a lot for the first few days because I had a lot of hair algae, but for a week he didn’t move at all, then he started to move again, but now he isn’t moving much now. Over the night he moves about an inch (I know they are nocturnal) or less. during the day he just sits out of is shell like he is depressed. I noticed that his back is not completely red, it has white patches like he is molting, but I don’t see any shell pieces around the aquarium. My fire dart-fish is doing great in here. His antenna’s are still twitching and haven’t ever stopped which I know is a good sign, I drip acclimated him for 1 hour and 10 minutes because my water is close to the LFS tanks. He is not getting picked on and he has more than enough food. (Except on the rock he is on in the picture.) He acts normal just doesn’t move around, he goes in and out of his shell every 3-10 minutes. Is this normal for these crabs, is he just not hungry so he stay put?
My tank info 10Gallon FOWLR (Someday going to add corals)
2 Quietflow 10 filters
1 90GPH pump
1 50 WATT heater
Bright 11,000K led lights
10 LBS of aragalive sand and live/dry rock. 4 months since set up/cycing started
Parameters:
pH: 8.0(Night) 8.1 (Day)
Salinty: 1.021
Temperature: 79 (Day)
Nitrate: 5-10ppm
Ammonia & Nitrite: 0ppm
dKH: 9
I use tap water with instant ocean marine conditioner sometimes, and
I use distilled water with instant ocean marine conditioner sometimes.
I wait 30 minutes to an hour after I mix the salt until I put it in the tank.
Lights on from
6:00 A.M to 11:00 A.M
Lights of from
11:00 A.M to 3:00 P.M
Lights back on from
3:00 P.M to 9:00 P.M
This way it helps keep pH stabilized.
Food: Varieties of Algaes, and a Custom Combo of
Mysis, Brine, Nori, Flakes, Pellets, Seachem Garlic Gaurd, Garlic Root liquid, and Ginger root liquid frozen together. Ginger acts as a slime coat and immune system buffer, garlic acts as a way to get fish to eat.
I do a water change every week
I use Seachem Vibrant Sea.
I do have coralline algae growing, I seeded it from a live rock. I have Crystal Clear Water, I use Polyfilter, Carbon, Seachem SeaGel, Aqueon Carbon Sponge, and Aqueon Filter Pad for Filtration. I definitely have the right amount of flow in the tank. There are copepods everywhere, so why is my crab seem depressed or ill?

This picture you can see his back, he just sits there on the rock, then recedes back into the shell when I walk by.
IMG_1515455943.817781.jpg
IMG_1515456231.362728.jpg
Thank You!

So I heard that the white patches on the crab are normal, and I also looked up that it is normal for crabs to be lazy, especially Scarlets. But his eyes are pointing down-ish, should I be worried?

IMG_1515685299.700132.jpg
Ok he is doing a lot better! He is moving around, I found out that I needed to recalibrate my refractometer so I did that and my salinity was 1.020 so I slowly raised it to 1.024.
Also in the pictures you see a dead coral piece, I got that from an island a while ago if your wondering. I have not put any live corals in my tank yet.

Back
Top Bottom