Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-19-2007, 01:47 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Scooter Blenny=whodini

I just fed my scooter blenny.....and I didn't see my scooter blenny. Yesterday I saw him in the back of the tank. I haven't seen him all day today. So I fed him, and he usually comes out of whatever crevice he's hiding in. But this time he didn't. And I can't find him anywhere.
I'm assuming he's dead. What the #@$% do I do now??? His rotting carcus will shoot my ammonia through the roof if I can't find him......And there goes my tank. Should I just start ripping everything out of the tank? Should I stick my finger down in the sand and do a body search? I never encountered this problem before. Usually when my fish die, they're right there....dead. And I get my handy dandy net and scoop em out.
I checked in all the caves I could get to and there's no sign of him anywhere. What do I do????

STARFYRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 07:25 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Having no idea what sized tank you have, how many crabs or shrimp in there makes it hard to suggest what to do. 30g tank, 10 lbs of rock and a 3"fish with 3 hermits may have problems. A mature 75g tank with 80 lbs of rock, and a 3" fish, 60 hermits, a few shrimp, likely no problem.

Watch the ammonia. If he's been dead for 24hrs or more and causing a problem, you should see it in your water readings by now IMO. Describe your tank and tell what other fish are in there.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 10:26 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I agree, if you have a good clean up crew, they will do their job. Do not stick you fingers and sift through the sand. There are probably bristleworms in there and they could give you a nice little bee sting-like surprise.
Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Acronym List

roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 08:04 PM   #4
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
I also agree just leave him for the clean up crew. He may be just hiding also.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 09:04 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
Wow! I didn't know that bristleworms can sting. That's a good piece of info to know! I had a cleaner wrasse die on me. The LFS stressed him out catching him and I didn't know it until I acclimated him and put him in the tank. (father in-law got him) In a matter of hours he was nothing but a little string of bones on the bottom of the tank. Like everyone said if you have a good clean up crew you wont have any problems.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote

blenny, scooter blenny

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com