Sea anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reeftanker

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone

My tank is about 5-6 months , specific gravity 1.024 water temperature is about 25 degrees. I had the water tested at the aquarium shop and According to aquarium shop tank is stable to hold starter corals and anemones.

I have a damsel and 2 tank bred clownfish for about 4 months. I bought an orange coral, a coral that looks like a mushroom and a sea anemone today. It looked fine a few hours ago but when I got back the anemone looks like its inside out and is roaming around the tank. I fed it a bloodworm and it ate it 5 hours ago. I cant leave my filter on otherwise the anemone is getting stuck to it so I put a smaller version of the same filter (flow is low to moderate) and the anemone is not moving toward the filter.

The mushroom has some weird fishy smell from it and my tank has become slightly cloud.
Are the corals healthy? The fish seem healthy and I have had them for awhile and they were expensive. I dont want to corals to end up hurting the fishes.
Also I have a lot of white stands of hair all over my rocks. Google told me they are worms, should I remove them?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20140710_222309.jpg
    IMG_20140710_222309.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_20140711_034541.jpg
    IMG_20140711_034541.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_20140711_034549.jpg
    IMG_20140711_034549.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_20140711_034554.jpg
    IMG_20140711_034554.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 136
its currently sitting under the power head , still inside out

Should I switch off the lights or leave them on? I am scared to sleep in case anything happen to the fish :/

Attachments

• IMG_20140711_050639.jpg
    IMG_20140711_050639.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_20140711_050756 (1).jpg
    IMG_20140711_050756 (1).jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_20140711_050756.jpg
    IMG_20140711_050756.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_20140711_050959.jpg
    IMG_20140711_050959.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 121
Ok first how did you acclimate them? Second do you know your exact params? Third what lighting are you using? Fourth are you using ro/di water? Your tank isn't ready for an anemone, and the sun coral is very difficult too. The toad stool should be ok. If a nem is roaming it's not happy with something in the tank. Best advice I can give you is to return both the nem and sun coral and start with easy soft corals. Also it sounds as if you don't have a test kit, if not that should be your next purchase.

I accimilated them by floating the bag in the water but their bag was colder than my tanks water and after about 20-30 mins I put them on the rocks.
I dont know exact parameters I'll buy the marine test water kit soon. The only one available is 108 dollars and I am a college student so money is a little problematic.

I cant return the corals for my money. The guy told me the toadstool usually stinks, the sun coral needs lot of flow so I arranged the rocks a bit and the sun coral is in line with the flow and he gave me a 2 bottles of phytoplankton and zooplankton to feed them once a week. I used the eye drop thingy to feed food into the sun corals mouths.

The light I have is standard t5 for freshwater but I ordered an marine/coral/grow LED light which will be coming today not sure about the watts but the site says ideal for all all kinds of nano reefs and corals. I also shine a tubelight on the tank which is very bright and nem is sitting under these lights.

He told me the nem had a 50% chance of survival in my tank but I took it anyways, for now its sitting directly underneath the light surrounded by live rocks opening and closing its mouth still looking inside out.

I am not sure what ro/di water is...

Has anyone seen the movie "the thing".Corals remind me of those creatures.. ..

Well, the lighting isn't sufficient for the anemone. This is why it is moving around and reaching up towards the light.
I also would like to see your parameters, as I'm assuming your nitrates will be high from that zooplanton. Stop feeding this stuff, it isn't worth it as the sun coral isn't consuming it. Feed these guys a piece of mysis or brine shrimp a couple times a week. The planktons are too small/fine for the sun coral to consume.
RO/DI water is reverse osmosis/distilled water. AKA, pure water with 0 TDS...which is total dissolved solids. This makes sure there isn't anything that can hamper your coral growth or cause algae issues.

+1 to everything Hank said above. A couple things to add, the sun coral is a NPS coral and is going to be almost impossible to keep in a tank with a nem. The nem needs pristine water quality, and the frequent feedings the sun coral requires will make that very very difficult. Best advice I can give you is take them back to the lfs (even if they don't give refunds, just chalk it up to a learning experience) so they don't die in the tank and cause an ammonia spike and possibly kill everything in your tank, and do your research BEFORE buying any more corals. You can also order test kits online for cheaper than $100. Also look up the drip acclimation method

I disagree with the sun coral and anemone. I have an anemone doing amazing in my 55 reef. Feeding the sun coral can easily be accomplished by target feeding each head one piece of shrimp each without fouling water quality. Twice a week and it shouldn't be a problem.

Hi everyone and thanks a lot for feedback !

I placed the new light and my old light together giving strong lighting in the aquarium and nem placed itself in the center of the tank underneath the light surrounded by rocks. Its looking much healthier its tentacles look full again. I am feeding it frozen bloodworms and when I switched on the blue light one of the clowns got attracted to the fluorescent green tip of its tentacles and its rubbing against it..so cool :D

I fed the sun coral chopped up worms krill flakes and hikari pellets made it into a paste put it in the mouths with an eye dropper..but not all the mouths are opening. Ill try again later.

I returned the mushroom and my tank looks instantly better and no foul smell from it.

I forgot to take my water for testing but I ll be ordering a test water kit and I ll update.

Just some last questions.
Do I leave the blue light on entire night?
Should I throw away the zooplankton and phytoplankton?

Thanks again !

Don't leave the blues on all night. They aren't moonlighting, which are very low wattage units that just put a blue shimmer on the tank at night. Overall, there has been discussion on if these hamper or help the tank...but overall it is just because you like it and think it is pretty. There is no reason to have them other than that. My tank doesn't use them, though I have in the past.
Don't worry about feeding your anemone. It is mainly photosynthetic and can survive without capturing food. Physically eating is a double edged sword for photosynthetic anemone as trying to eat something too large can cause it to use more energy than it is getting from the food and can actually cause unnecessary stress on it.
In terms of the plankton, I personally don't throw anything away that I pay money for. That means I have a handful of bottles of this and that in my fridge basically rotting away. Keep it on hand in the event you try a creature that needs it, but it will more than likely go bad like mine do from not using it.

In terms of the plankton, I personally don't throw anything away that I pay money for. That means I have a handful of bottles of this and that in my fridge basically rotting away. Keep it on hand in the event you try a creature that needs it, but it will more than likely go bad like mine do from not using it.

You could use all that stuff for fishless cycling fuel couldn't you?

If you wanted to also pollute the tank at the same time. A cocktail shrimp in pantyhose is more controllable.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If the idea is for organic matter to decompose so the BB can take hold, what difference does it make?
Dead shrimp are going to pollute the tank just as well.
If it is a fishless cycle, why concern yourself about controlling anything, just throw it in there and let it do it's thing for the next six weeks.

Other than convenience, there really is no difference.

Back
Top Bottom