Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-30-2004, 03:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Sea Cucumber dead/missing

I purchased a crabless detrivore kit from Liveaquaria a couple of weeks ago that included a Sea Cucumber. All went well for the first couple of days and it was cruising in and out of the LR. I then noticed that it rear end looked like it was torn open but was not sure if this was normal. Next morning there was only a about a 1/4 of it left lying on the sand bed. I scooped up the remains and tossed it. I have not seen the rest of it since (about a week).

Should I be concerned that the rest of Cucumber could be somewhere in the tank decaying? Anything I should be doing?

FYI.. corals are doing OK except for Sarcophyton who waxed over and polyps have not been seen since the incident. Not sure if this was related or not.

pdwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 04:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
Cucumbers split and depending on what type can wipe out a tank. Do you know what kind yours is or was??

Act on your impulses.. You'll feel good now & it will give you something to regret later!!
reefobsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 04:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via ICQ to Gauge Send a message via Yahoo to Gauge
I wasn't aware that there was a type of cuke that wasn't able to wipe out a tank. Which ones can and cannot?
- Gauge

92-gallon corner tank, 100lbs of LR, 140lbs of sand, 250watt 10,000K MH, 110watts of actinic PCs, Mag 7 return, custom refugium, AquaC EV180 w/ Mag 5

Female lyretail anthias, eyelash blenny, tomato clown, saddleback clown, firefish goby, 2 sand-sifting stars
Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 05:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had the same thing happen to a Tigertail Cucumber. One day I found it torn open and being picked at by my peppermint shrimp. I have no idea what killed it, but it was still moving when the shrimp was picking its guts out. :| This never seemed to hurt my tank...and it's only a 10-gallon tank.

Also, I used to have a pair of Yellow Sea Cucumbers...bought 1, then they split into two. I believe they ended up starving to death, even though I was dosing my tank with Phytoplankton every day. They probably just ended up sitting in a bad position to filter feed in. The odd thing was the way they died... They slowly shrank over the course of about 3 days...from 1 inch long down to a pinhead and then simply vanished.
Tripoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 10:24 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular
It was a Tigertail cucumber. I have a coral banded that picks at most things in the tank this is probably the culprit. When I picked up the piece I found in a net and pulled it out of the water it just disentegrated. Everything still appear healthy sans the Sarcophyton so I guess I will take no further action. Don't think I will be getting anymore of those!!
pdwire is offline   Reply With Quote

cuc, dead, missing, sea

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com