sea cucumber flesh decay???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dingodan

Aquarium Advice Activist
came home today to see my cucumber i purchased last week was missing parts of his flesh! his tank mates are brittle star, 6line wrasse, one small hermit and some trochus snails....might be a pistol shrimp in there but havent seen it in a few weeks. i quarantined him in a bag until i can diagnose the problem.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390357877.253205.jpg

Ph 8
nitrite 0.1 ppm
nitrate 2.5 ppm
ammonia 0.2 ppm
sg 1.025

well he expelled his guts in the quarantine bag... im not sure what to do..or how this even happened

There's a big chance he's a goner once he expelled his guts. Most sea cucumber have a very small chance of survival in the aquaria once they do that...

i got rid of him..i dont understand what caused it?? i would really like to know before id ever purchase another

They are pretty sensitive to parameter changes. Also, how long did you kept it in the quarantine bag? If you kept it there too long, its possible it might have gotten stressed. The water in the bag is too still and the water is too enclosed which might have caused it to puke. It's also possible that the specimen you got is in bad shape already and going down hill. Personally, I like the tigers tail sea cucumber better the that pink hotdog one. I had better luck on keeping them.

Back
Top Bottom