Sea Hare sick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Malibu43

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Two days ago I bought a Sea Hare to help with a hair algea problem. Its been cruising the tank and eating lots. I got home from work and both pepermint shrimp and Nessarius snails after it in the corner. Its still alive and at this point the others have stopped messing with it. Anyone have any idea's

My LFS that sold me the Hare tells me they feel it was poisoned by the polyups in the tank. he said they release a toxin that got into the algea that in turn was eaten by the hare. Sounded to me a bit like he was full of it. Anyone ever heard of this before?

sounds like a ridiculous story to me too. the truth is, slugs are not easy to care for. many die before their time in closed systems, and others, just do unexplainable things. maybe it was pooping and what you saw was the shrimp and snails going after that. did you ever see one of those defecate? they really leave a lot of waste.

Yeah I think he just wanted to be able to say it was my fault the creature died. Thanks for the reply.

Regardless of what you may get to eat the hair algae and accomplish the temporary fix, you're gonna have to figure out and address the source of it.

I am afraid my problem is the bioballs have become a nitrate generator at this point. I am considering pulling them out a little at a time and adding rubble in its place as I pull the balls. I feed very light and reduced my time on the lights as well as replaced the bulbs. The tank is a biocube and is about a year old at this point. When I set it up some people said pull the bioballs because they would become a problem. The shop I bought the tank said leave them because its what the tank is set up for. :confused:

yeah, im not sure about the bioballs completely, i've never had the nitrate factory effect in mine and its been set up for 8+ months.

but the LR rubble is a good idea, i believe its about 1/3 of the balls at a time, and then wait 3+ weeks (i think!)

i'd love to see pictures of you BC as a fellow nano tank-er

Seahare waste looks like rabbit food pellets. I made the mistake once of buying a seahare and once it consumed the hair algae it starved and died. They are not the solution to a problem. They also sleep as much as they eat and when they sleep they appear dead. You can move it and it will float around like a dead fish. They also expel a purple liquid when hurt or stressed.

Back
Top Bottom