Seabay anemone won't settle :/

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pjones0221

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay so I got a sea at anemone two weeks ago. And it won't settle anywhere in the tank. It goes under the rocks, then settles for a few minutes, then goes to the other side of the tank, settles, then repeat. It has been doing this since I added it to the tank. It has had some close calls with the power heads. Was just wondering how long they take to settle on average? I know all anemones are different but has this happened to anyone else? Or should I just return it?

Water:

Calcium 460
Alk 8.6
Ph 8.1
Mag 1100
Salinity 1.025
Temp 78-78
Phosphates < 0.02
Nitrates < 0.02

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Tank is 6 months. Lighting are marine Leds. I know lights are weak, but I do have a rbta in the tank as well and it's doing perfectly fine.

6 months is awfully young of a tank for a nem
recommended tank age is 1 year
it took me a while to get my long tentacle nem to settle
after going nuts for what seemed like forever I took the advice of a fellow reefer
he told me dig a hole in the sand so the glass bottom is showing
place nem in the hole back fill slightly just to secure the nems base once the nem attaches to the glass back fill the rest of the base
my guy hasn't moved since

I have dug a hole, but I have egg crate under my sand. Meaning I can't get down to the glass. Nothing seems to work for this guy

It is most likely upset over the lighting situation in the tank itself. These guys are much pickier and harder to keep than BTA's. You can try turning off the flow in the tank to see if it'll settle as well, a trick I use on anemone when I first put them into the tank to get them to stay where I want them.

Won't turning off the flow mess with everything else?

I'll try it out tonight

Actually both my anemones started to look kind of sickly, so I returned them to the lfs. Hopefully they can bring them back to life.

I just purchased my first of three hydra 52s. So will wait until I have all three and the tank is more secure before adding nems :(

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417270654.696460.jpg

The difference in lighting is crazy!

I would return it if possible.
From everything I have seen and read, Sebae anemones are one of the hardest to keep and more often than not die in captivity.
These are another animal that should be reserved for the highly experienced and very, very well established tanks that highlights anemones.

Too bad because they are some of the most beautiful critters anemones available, but alas, not suited to captivity.

I wish I could offer advice on how to keep them, but unfortunately with how young your set-up is and all, I fear it's chances are not that great, but not through any particular fault of yours.

It and my rbta are both returned. Someday I'll have them but not now

Back
Top Bottom