Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-23-2013, 01:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
Seachem phytoplankton dosing instant kill

i have a frag of the red war coral in my tank for slightly over a month now. i have always wanted all of my corals to grow beautifully and i have never fed them phytos before. so one day out of whim i ordered the Seachem phyto from Petco online and as soon as i got it i used my Julian's Thing to target the phyto to all of my corals. when i squirted the phyto on the red war coral, i noticed immediately that the redness on the coral almost turned brown within minutes. the next day, the area where i directly squirted the phyto has fuzzy stuffs and needless to say that part of the coral is now dead. has anyone seen this before? my other corals are doing fine but just not the red war. now i only have a few (2 or 3) of the polyps on the red war and i don't know what i did wrong.

and the thing i can't wrap my head around is that the red war gave its death or sick sign IMMEDIATELY after dosing when it turn from red to redish brown to brown to fuzzy brown stuffs. my GSP, monti, digitata, and many others are fine. i'm speechless

dragonfisher33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 02:41 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via ICQ to ezy33
Could it be a temperature change between the coral and the Seachem phyto?

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
ezy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 02:49 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Salinity or pH would be my best guess. If you want phyto just grow a culture of it. It takes approx 1 week a month to grow and it gives me 4 liters of phytoplankton. I just pour a half cup or so in my tank daily and call it good. It hasn't ever given me any issues.

If you really want to use the supplement you got try mixing it in some tank water before feeding it to anything.
Mebbid's Fishtopia: Various builds
"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations." -Occam's razor
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote

dosing, phytoplankton, sea, seachem, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com