Seachem phytoplankton dosing instant kill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragonfisher33

Aquarium Advice Addict
i have a frag of the red war coral in my tank for slightly over a month now. i have always wanted all of my corals to grow beautifully and i have never fed them phytos before. so one day out of whim i ordered the Seachem phyto from Petco online and as soon as i got it i used my Julian's Thing to target the phyto to all of my corals. when i squirted the phyto on the red war coral, i noticed immediately that the redness on the coral almost turned brown within minutes. the next day, the area where i directly squirted the phyto has fuzzy stuffs and needless to say that part of the coral is now dead. has anyone seen this before? my other corals are doing fine but just not the red war. now i only have a few (2 or 3) of the polyps on the red war and i don't know what i did wrong.

and the thing i can't wrap my head around is that the red war gave its death or sick sign IMMEDIATELY after dosing when it turn from red to redish brown to brown to fuzzy brown stuffs. my GSP, monti, digitata, and many others are fine. :banghead:i'm speechless:facepalm:

Salinity or pH would be my best guess. If you want phyto just grow a culture of it. It takes approx 1 week a month to grow and it gives me 4 liters of phytoplankton. I just pour a half cup or so in my tank daily and call it good. It hasn't ever given me any issues.

If you really want to use the supplement you got try mixing it in some tank water before feeding it to anything.

Back
Top Bottom