Seahorse in trouble!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carrissab

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently purchased some dwarf seahorses for my tank. Last night one of them had a baby. Then, I noticed two smaller babies from another male. He was still pumping and looking as if he were still giving birth when I went to bed last night. This morning, he has what looks to be a small egg with a much smaller seahorse in it. It appears to be still born and is only a bit bigger than the head of the babies. It's been in his pouch for several hours that I've noticed, and it seems he has given up trying to push it out. Do I need to worry that this might kill him? Is there any way I can help him or remove it? I appreciate any help. Thank you!

I dont have much experience with dwarfs but i would give him a little longer to see if he can resolve it himself. If not, i know people do pouch evacs, when their males get air caught in there or something, so that may do it. i would head over to seahorse dot org, they have an entire dedicated dwarf forum. Let us know how it turns out!

After several hours, he was able to wipe against a branch on one of the plants which pulled the egg out. He then continued having babies. I now have six beautiful little ponies from him. :D

Back
Top Bottom