Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-03-2004, 10:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Seems like ich

I recently purchased a Regal Tang (Hippo Tang) and placed it in my main tank since it was the first fish I am introducing to the tank (except for 2 emerald crabs.) After 2 days I believe it he has Saltwater Ich. He's not scratching but he has white dots over his body and fins.
It's the first fish I have in the aquarium so I didn't quarentine him.

PH is 8.3, Salinity is at .024. Temp. 75
I've done all the tests (Ammonia,Nitrite,Nitrate) and everything is ok.

What do you think happened? The LPS is very credible.

Should I treat it with hyposalinty? If so, should I do it in the main tank because there is no other fish in there (except the crabs?) or put him in a QT? What about my LR? Will the medicine affect the LR or LS?

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-03-2004, 10:37 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Should I treat it with hyposalinty? If so, should I do it in the main tank because there is no other fish in there (except the crabs?) or put him in a QT? What about my LR? Will the medicine affect the LR or LS?
I would quarantine him and then treat with hypo. You will probably kill your crabs and any other inverts in your tank if you hypo'ed the main system.

Just make sure you don't use any copper based medicines in your main tank. This will also kill any inverts and will also keep you from ever putting any inverts into that tank in the future.

We have a great article on this in the FW section. SW ich is different from FW ich, however, this is still great info to have as their life cycles are about the same.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showqu...q=2&fldAuto=32

Old 02-04-2004, 06:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thank You Biggen,
I spoke to my LFS and they recommeded the same teatment as you did.
I'll place him in the QT and treat him there.

Thanks again.

Tags
ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com