Serious icky situation!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

juice28

Aquarium Advice Freak
my g/f bought a yellow eyed tang about 3 weeks ago and ever since its been in the tank it never settled, at first i thought it as because it was the new fish jitters and didn't think too much of it..a few days ago(2-3) i noticed it was swimming very erratically like it just couldn't get comfortable anywhere. I gave it thorough looking over and didn't see any physical signs of stress or disease and still chalked it up to, getting adjusted, I have a damsel that can be pretty roughless! today i noticed it and it is covered in ich no other fish are showing signs of stress or anything like that but its deffinatley ich the mucous very visible and sort of patchy it is coverd in "salt" looking spots along the back and fins and moth,
water parameters are fine(textbook perfect for a change) I've been checking them twice a day for the past week now b/c the tang never got settled so i figured its my water first.
this is my problem, i recently moved and I don't have a quarantine tank to put it in and i don't want to kill my corals or inverts with chemicals, I've been reading about raising water temp and the"salt" bath, but i haven't been able to find out what that would do to my corals and inverts any help here would be super. i currently have my tank set at 80 degrees which isn't too high its usually around 79 but i read that i should raise it around 85-86 and add 2-3 tsp of salt per 5 gal over 48 hr period and maintain for 5-10 days. but so far all info has been for fish only not reef...

For a tank with ich you need to go fallow for no less than 4 weeks 6 or longer is preferred and better .. Ich needs a host to survive , if it can not find one it will die ..
Try to get all fish including those who do not appear to have it . You can set up 2 different QT tanks , a Tupperware tote will work fine , get some PVC pipe to have some hidey holes for the fish to go into ..The Tupperware totes will come in colors or clear , I would recommend the colors as this will help to keep the fish less stressed ... In the main tank you can add a cleaner shrimp that may scavange the Ich out..but this is not necessary or required just if you would like to ...
You can do HypOsalinity treatment in the QT taking it down to 1.009 spg over a period of a couple weeks .. The ich tomites will die as they need the higher SPG . Once you see no sign of ICH on the fish your clock will begin to tick as to when you can place them back in to the display ... Keep them in QT for 4 weeks or longer after you spot the last ich spot...
Keep the water perameters high and stable. Have extra water on hand for water changes ...Feed the fish with foods soaked in garlic and selcon to boost immunity ... The garlic will trigger the fish feeding response , it is believed that it is the allicin in the garlic that does this ...
Once in the clear you can add the fish back to your main display tank .. The 47 gallon will not in the long run be suitable for a tang and can cause them to stress and ich to reappear .. Tangs are ich magnets that the least bit causes stress and ich ... GL :D

that's some great reading, thanks!
it was a valiant effort but the tang is no more...I had to remove 90% of the LR just to be able to catch it and i think it just stressed it out too much. It died about an hour ago in its own QT pen probably a tote with about 15 gallons in it. I was trying to avoid doing that but i didn't have much of a choice but what i did being that I just moved and my original QT tank cracked i removed all the critters and put them in the Tupperware dish, and placed the LR with corals on them and frags in one cooler and the remaining fish and some LR/frags in the other(they all seem to be fine, ich free) I'm working with minimal space so i basically squeezed all the Lr with corals I could in one cooler I just ran out of space in it so the remaining i left in the tank I jacked up the temp in the tank to about 95 degrees for about 14 hrs and did about a 65-70 % water change and let it cycle, my nitrites are a little high but coming down fairly quickly(not in the danger zone but not perfect, they are o.k.) everything else is textbook perfect. my water temp is now 79.5 and re added my rocks and frags and I just re added the fish(all but mandarin got a FW dip. I have 2 toddlers so i cant just leave them out in the coolers on the floor. I know i rushed it super fast but it looks like i had to take that chance.. i pulled 2 Elmo toys out of the cooler earlier today. id rather have them go in the tank then have my kids trying to play with them when I'm at work. SO far all the fish are doing well, no signs of stress or ich, my corals are all fully opened and so far are doing way better than i expected so hopefully with the removal of the tang and most of the water and and basically burning out the tank..ill be OK all fish are eating, I was worried about the mandarin but she's doing the best out of everything, go figure.

The mandrin may or may not do ok in that size tank... you may need to add pods down the road.. There will likley be tomites that survived ,,, and may or may not reappear..as you can not get every square inch with out tearing it down and going fallow ... Sorry for the loss of your tang ..

Back
Top Bottom