Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-28-2010, 04:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Set up my QT!!!!

OK I did it... bought a 10 gal qt...now keep in mind my fish are babies...i have a hippo and a immaculate puffer with ick ...i put a 20 gal filter on and heater in the tank i am also going to add an air stone today. i am feeing them brine, reg frozen shrimp, and pellet food, (not too much) and soaking it in garlic and also adding vitamen c to the water...i added the coppersafe last night..

my ? is what elese can/should i do? the coppersafe says the dosage is good for 1 month.

How many water changes should i do? how long should they be in there? thanks for your help!!

They seem to look better already so i am happy....

Old 01-28-2010, 04:05 PM   #2
Thanx but no.....

Sounds like the QT isn't cycled so you better be testing often (at least once a day) for ammonia and doing the appropriate water changes to keep it and nitrite at bay. Assuming it's not cycled of course

Old 01-28-2010, 04:16 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

OK, the QT is new and therefore not cycled. You need to keep a very carefull check on water parameters, especially Ammonia and Nitrite.

Plan on doing twice daily 1 gallon water changes (20%) for the fisrt week or so. Now the problem is determining the proper dosage of Coppersafe to add to maintain a therapeutic effect.

That's one the reasons I prefer a Hyposalinity treatment for ICH. A big benedfit of hypo is that when the treatment is done, the main tank is Ich free!
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:06 PM   #4

i used the water from the main tank about 8 gallons and 2 gallons ro water

coppersafe said only use 1 teaspoon per 4 gallons of water, per month so i did about 2 teaspoons?

so you are saying about 1 or 2 gallons a day water change?
Old 01-29-2010, 12:28 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

I always recommend 50% water changes daily until your tank no longer reads for NH3. If you 1/2 the original dose after each water change you should be fine. Certain parameters may not read/test correctly from treatments.
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 02:19 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

If its not one thing its another. So if you have a qt with water from the display, you have to cycle? If your adding 1 to 2 fresh gallons a day seems like bacteria would be gone. Should qt tank have sand and rock?
Old 01-29-2010, 08:17 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Bacteria resides on surfaces and not in water columns so yes, technically you must cycle a tank regardless. If you perform 50% water changes daily in a QT you shouldn't receive any NH3 spikes. A QT shouldn't have sand, but rock can be used to help cycle the tank if you rather cycle first and add fish after.
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:10 AM   #8

OK here are my questions and answers

#1- how much and how often water changes? is is 50% and daily
#2-How much medication- 1/2 dose after water change
#3-when can io put my fish back in dt?

THANK YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP EVEYONE!!! I APPRECIATE IT VERY MUCH!

does this all sound right?

Tags
set up

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com