Set up my QT!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joelle2149

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
OK I did it... bought a 10 gal qt...now keep in mind my fish are babies...i have a hippo and a immaculate puffer with ick ...i put a 20 gal filter on and heater in the tank i am also going to add an air stone today. i am feeing them brine, reg frozen shrimp, and pellet food, (not too much) and soaking it in garlic and also adding vitamen c to the water...i added the coppersafe last night..

my ? is what elese can/should i do? the coppersafe says the dosage is good for 1 month.

How many water changes should i do? how long should they be in there? thanks for your help!!

They seem to look better already so i am happy....

Sounds like the QT isn't cycled so you better be testing often (at least once a day) for ammonia and doing the appropriate water changes to keep it and nitrite at bay. Assuming it's not cycled of course

OK, the QT is new and therefore not cycled. You need to keep a very carefull check on water parameters, especially Ammonia and Nitrite.

Plan on doing twice daily 1 gallon water changes (20%) for the fisrt week or so. Now the problem is determining the proper dosage of Coppersafe to add to maintain a therapeutic effect.

That's one the reasons I prefer a Hyposalinity treatment for ICH. A big benedfit of hypo is that when the treatment is done, the main tank is Ich free!

i used the water from the main tank about 8 gallons and 2 gallons ro water

coppersafe said only use 1 teaspoon per 4 gallons of water, per month so i did about 2 teaspoons?

so you are saying about 1 or 2 gallons a day water change?

I always recommend 50% water changes daily until your tank no longer reads for NH3. If you 1/2 the original dose after each water change you should be fine. Certain parameters may not read/test correctly from treatments.

If its not one thing its another. So if you have a qt with water from the display, you have to cycle? If your adding 1 to 2 fresh gallons a day seems like bacteria would be gone. Should qt tank have sand and rock?

Bacteria resides on surfaces and not in water columns so yes, technically you must cycle a tank regardless. If you perform 50% water changes daily in a QT you shouldn't receive any NH3 spikes. A QT shouldn't have sand, but rock can be used to help cycle the tank if you rather cycle first and add fish after.

OK here are my questions and answers

#1- how much and how often water changes? is is 50% and daily
#2-How much medication- 1/2 dose after water change
#3-when can io put my fish back in dt?

THANK YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP EVEYONE!!! I APPRECIATE IT VERY MUCH!

does this all sound right?

Back
Top Bottom