Setting up a quarantine tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wael El-Dasher

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well, my first fish is a powder blue tang and within 2 days of introducing it (along with 2 clowns) to my reef tank, it developed ich. It's very mild right now so I need to grab it and the clown and place them in quarantine to start copper treatment.

I am not sure how to set up such a tank. Should I use substrate or is it not worth it since it will only harbor the parasites? If I can't use live rock in the quarantine tank, what can I use? Dead rock? Most sites recommend providing hiding places for the fish so they're not stressed out during the 28 day period of treatment. So what to use if rock will lower the copper content?

Would a quarantine need a sump and skimmer or is just a basic mechanical filter system sufficient?

I know that I can use the water from my reef tank to set up the quarantine tank initially since I have to perform my weekly water changes anyway. What about the QT? Do I perform weekly water changes in that too?

If you can share photos of how you set your quarantine tank, it would be very helpful.

cheers

Wael

Most people for a QT tank will have very little in it. No sand or substrate at all. No rock either, instead cut up large diameter PVC into short pieces the fish can hide in. Most people will use a small HOB filter or a sponge filter. If you have a sponge in any of your filters now i would put that in your QT tank in an area of good flow since this will provide some bacteria to try and keep it from going through a cycle.

You should be doing water changes as need (which may end up being pretty often). Keep a very close eye on your water chemistry as it will change much faster in the smaller water volume. Check frequently for ammonia to make sure it doesn't start building up.

If you get a sponge filter for your QT after you are done treating the fish you should clean and let the sponge dry out (or just get a new one sinc ethey are pretty cheap) and put it back in your sump. This allows it to build up a colony of bacteria so the next time you set up your QT you know it won't go through a cycle.

Read that article that mfdrookie posted and it will answer all your questions.

IME cycling a QT is pointless since you will be performing 50% water changes daily and any medication will throw off your test results anyways. The sponge filter will not actually filter, but rather just used to "suck in" waste and uneaten food. To treat sponge filters you can put them in a mesh bag and into the washing machine (no detergent or bleach).

Thanks for everyone's input. I had done a bit of reading actually before posting my questions in hopes of gaining additional ideas. It's been very beneficial to read your responses.

Cheers

This is my QT with sponge filter running with power head. No substrate or scratchy serfaces. Heater. Basic HOB filter. (No media) circulating more water.

Iv lucky have not had to treat with. Any meds as I have done bery proper acclimationg and stocking of fish. Right now is a coral beauty in the taNk hiding in the skull... any questions let me know!

Back
Top Bottom