Shed or Decay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mae140

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone,

I'm having problems with a Kenya Tree Leather of mine. I've recently started a nano and the little guy is my starter coral. After feeding yesterday I came back today and noticed all the polyps were closed and there was a brown ring around the base.

I know leather corals go through a shedding period at points, and was wondering if this was that, or if something is terribly wrong.

Any advice on this is appreciated, however please do not just tell me to throw it out because Kenya is a pest (I specifically chose it because it's difficult to kill)...

1. Type & how long you have had it: I've had the Leather for a little over two weeks now. Ordered it from Tidal gardens.

2. Current lighting & Bulb Age:Bulb is the same age as the coral and sits in a clamp light above the tank with a dimmer (Light).

3. Nitrate: 0 ppm
4. Calcium: I have a reef test kit ordered; not here yet so I can't test (when I went to get one from LPS they were out. Had to order it from Amazon).
5. Phosphate: N/A
6. Alkalinity: N/A
7. pH: 8.0
8. Salinity: 1.026
9. Temperature:77 F
10. Liquid or strip test kits: API Liquid
11. Location in tank:About 11cm from bottom of the tank, tank is a 5.5g.
12. Current amount of flow: Medium; Coral gets hit with the flow that bounces off the side of the tank.
13. Current tank dosing regimen: Not currently dosing anything (Don't want to dose what I can't test for) however I am doing water changes every monday and friday to replace trace elements and remove waste.
14. Nearby coral: None; Kenya Tree is the only coral in the tank.
15. Explanation of problem: Polyps are closed, brown band appeared at the base of the coral. Is it decay or is it shedding. Coral is not slumped.

Coral yesterday afternoon:

xns9cHn.jpg

Coral this morning (closeup on band):

Fuden9L.jpg

Back
Top Bottom