Shell stuck in Naso Tang's mouth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drummerdharris

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My Naso tang has something stuck in its mouth. It looks like a tubular shell fragment. Maybe from a feather worm. It seems like it is wedged in it's teeth. It ate alright last night. I thought it would just rub on a rock to dislodge it, but its still there today. Anybody have any suggestions? TIA.

David

If you have to help it get it out...and only if you have to...dip him out, lay a wet towel over it and pull the shell out with tweazers. :wink:

Thanks squishy. Have you ever had to do this before? Do you agree that as long as it is eating I should just wait?

I have helped lance infected eye on a Volitan Lion. Its eye was swollen really badly, so after trying to treat it, we dipped it out, layed it on a towel...covered it with another wet towel, and lanced it. It only took a small incision to the infection to come out. After that it was fine.

I would watch it over the next day or so. If it cant get it out of its mouth, I would consider removing it. But...this should be the last resort. Its going to be some what traumatic on the fish.

Back
Top Bottom