Should I have a Quarantine Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlueDolphin

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, I do understand the benefits of a QT, but I really didn't want to spend so much more money to set up another tank. Would a QT tank require just as much equipment as my regular tank?

:?

A QT tank can be a 10 or 15 gallon tank with just a small HOB filter and a decoration (something fish can swim around and hide in to reduce stress). Lighting is minimal to even optional. Not really much of an investment at all.

You should always at least have the set up available if not running. They do not cost much other than a tank or equivalent, PH, HOB filter or corner intank filter and a heater. All inclusive, it should run you about $50.00

Cheers
Steve

To go along with what everyone else said, it also doesn't need to be set up 24/7. Before getting new fish, I would set mine up a week or so in advance. As soon as I QT'd the fish for a long enough period and put him in the display, I break down the QT.

YES YES YES, run a Q tank (y) . I didn't think it was necessary at first and learned the hard way on more than one ocassion. For some reason it seems %50 of the fish I buy come down with something that would infect all the other in my display if I didn't treat them first. If I could go back in time I would have set up a Q tank right away.

Thanks for all your replies. It doesn't seem like that much more work/ money after seeing your responses. I guess that extra amount of money would be worth it in the end if it meant keeping my fish from spreading disease throughout my tank.

:turn-l:

On topic, I live in a pretty small apartment and don't have room for a QT. What precautions should I take instead?

flynnternet said:
On topic, I live in a pretty small apartment and don't have room for a QT. What precautions should I take instead?
This is not meant to be a smart alec remark but.... make more room. There is no substitute for a proper QT nor any precautions you can take that will prevent problems.

Cheers
Steve

I am going out to buy my QT today!!!! :) After reading posts and an article from the aquarium articles advice - I am more than convinced that I need a QT!

Thanks everyone!!! :multi:

This is not meant to be a smart alec remark but.... make more room. There is no substitute for a proper QT nor any precautions you can take that will prevent problems.

OK, I am convinced. Better safe than sorry, etc. But a few more questions:

Since my space is limited, could I use a tank even smaller than 10gal? Like a 5gal? I have 29gal display tank and would never be adding more than one small fish at a time.

As long as the fish is purchased as small as possible (1" or so) you should be fine for new fish but it may be too small if needed for existing fish as they grow. Also remember that a QT does not need to be set up 24/7. It only need be available :wink:

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom