Should I just stop treating?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crister13

Aquarium Advice Addict
As you know, my tank had an ick breakout, and no one is REALLY getting affected except my puffer. I have been soaking food in garlic SOMETIMES, and treating with ick attack twice a day. The bottle is almost empty, and I have been treating for about 4 days. Should I stop treatment and turn everything on? Still soak food in garlic, but turn everything on? There have been no improvements except for my bird wrasse who had about 10 spots and got rid of them. The puffer is COVERED in spots. Should I try rid fungus? Cause it may not be ick if the ick attack isnt working, right? What should I do? Also, one of my tangs if not both have HLLE due to poor water quality before hand. How can you treat this? I am doing 15-25% pwc a week and cleaning filter socks. I also feed seaweed everyday and feed brine, and rods food. And krill for my wrasse and grouper. How can I heal this?!?!?!?! Its not getting worse, just staying like it is. On my yellow, the holes are there, but on my naso, I can see the lateral line VERY well. So what do I do for both?!?!?! Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. THANKS!!!!!

Are you treating the fish in a qt tank or your main tank? The life span of ich is like 6 weeks. So it can disappear today and be back in a week worse than it was.

here is a link about the ich and life stages

Marine Ich or White Spot Disease

As far as the hlle I'm sorry I cant help you. AHvent researched it or had any experience with it luckily.

Treating in the DT. I have my skimmer off chemipure and polifiber pad out. Not sure if its heloing or hurting. What about HLLE?

Can't find a link about the hlle, sorry. Someone should show up with one though. Hopefully.

the chance of you ridding your tank of ich without qt'ing the fish and keeping the tank fishless for awhile is slim. if you read the article it can be in "hiding" for weeks on end just waiting for a chance to infect fish again.
Those reef safe treatments are from what I hear 50-50 at best.

Good luck though, I hope they get through it.

Thanks. Im also soaking their food in garlic, thats what got rid of it for my bird wrasse when he had it. Hopefully itll go away..... hopefully.

Why don't you lower the salinity to get rid of the ich? You could do this in the display tank or just get a quarantine tank and do it there.

As far as hlle, if you give the fish great water conditions, and give the tangs a varied diet that has lots of vitamins, it should stop and even begin to get better, or so ive read/been told.

Why don't you lower the salinity to get rid of the ich? You could do this in the display tank or just get a quarantine tank and do it there.

As far as hlle, if you give the fish great water conditions, and give the tangs a varied diet that has lots of vitamins, it should stop and even begin to get better, or so ive read/been told.
Yep,,i bought my juvi koran a couple years ago with HLLE,,was able to stop and reverse it with a steady diet of greens and seaweed sheets soaked in Vita-chem and pristine water conditions...
Also,none of those ick medicines work,,Only 2 proven ways to kill ick,,,hypo and copper,,neither are reef safe.
good luck

dont think they are meaning hypo. you can also do a fw dip on the fish. id up your temp low 80s and use medicine still

Okay, I'm adding this so that you do not lose ALL of your fish.

GET THE FISH OUT OF THE DT, ALL OF THEM

Put them in QT, do hypo or copper (not sure on your fish types if copper is okay for all of them) and leave the DT without fish for at least 6, better 8 weeks.

Read every one of the articles melosu58 posted and get those fish on the right track before the next outbreak kills them. Then, re-read them, save them as bookmarks and keep reading them during the treatment time so you won't be tempted to put the fish back too soon.

I could be nice and say try this or try that, but that is how I lost all but my 2 clownfish. I did hypo with them for 6 weeks and they are healthy, and ALIVE.

Definitely listen to the above. I'm going through this right now. Only 5 days into my hyposalinity treatment in QT. It sucks, but I want to keep all my fish.

Thought I was gonna lose my tang...so far, so good :)

Back
Top Bottom