Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-11-2004, 01:27 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Should I or Shouldn't I?

So I posted in another forum and I may have even mentioned something here.

But I recently had some of my fish disappear. I as advised to look for signs of a mantis. Well Two nights ago I witnessed one of my Serpent Stars kill and eat one of my feather dusters.

I was under the impression that serpent stars were friendly and would not harm other critters that for the most part they were scavengers. On another forum I was advised to feed the serpents once a week. And that he may have killed my fish and my feather duster b/c I was not feeding him. I only had him for about a week so who knows how hungry he was.

So my questions is I have caught him and I have him in a critter keeper in the tank. But should I keep him and just make sure I feed him once a week OR should I bring him back to the store.

Thanks
Christina

tuwhada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 01:37 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Not sure what to say. I have had 2 serpents for the better part of a year. I target feed mine once or twice a week. Neither one has ever touched another inhabitent of my tank. FWIW.

Old 09-11-2004, 01:44 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to xxmoorishmanxx
when i worked in my lfs i saw a 13inch brittle serpent take out about 7 green chromis and a few false percs. this was in a 125 gallon tank. However in my tank (36gallon) i have a 7 inch black serpent star feed him rarley and he's never touches any of my fish.
Old 09-11-2004, 01:50 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Yes, but Brittle stars (green) are a different story. They can get huge and are definitely predators that should be avoided.
Serpents are usually not a problem. I have a banded Serpent that is nearly 12" from tip to tip and he bothers no one.
Old 09-11-2004, 02:13 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok I think maybe he was just real hungry. When the fish disappeared I was away so they could hav ebeen sick. The last fish that went seemed fine but someone told me that hte jawfish sometimes just die. SO maybe I will keep this guy and make sure I target feed him weekly.

I was just really surprised he ate my feather duster, he must hav ebeen real hungry. I had not target fed him since I had him and I only had him like a week so who knows what he has been through before then.

Thanks... I really like him I will keep him and see what happens.

Christina
Old 09-11-2004, 02:17 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

could it have been possible that the feather duster died earlier, i once killed a coral in my tank and within mintues the serpent went for that tasty dead coral smell
Old 09-11-2004, 02:32 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

I don't recall him being dead... In fact it seemed rather gruesome. He latched on to the top of the duster and sucked him out. He used enough strenght to detach the hole thing from the rock.

Christina
Old 09-11-2004, 02:37 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

wow 8O
Old 09-11-2004, 02:42 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

I let him back in the tank. I am going to post feed him. This will be his last chance. if anything goes missing or dies I will take him out.

Christina

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com