Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-14-2004, 06:12 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Should I treat?

I have an yellow tang that has been in QT for 3 weeks tomorrow. I had planned on moving into the display tank this weekend but now I am not so sure.

He has 2-3 white and some what fuzzy spots on one of his side fins and 1 white spot on his tail fin. I noticed these a couple of days ago after feeding some frozen food. He is still eating fine, breathing normal and swimming around like he owns the place. No spots on the body. Water is normal.

Is this some sort of fungus and what would be the recommended treatment?

Thanks

Old 02-14-2004, 07:17 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

here are a 2 pics. The spots don't show up well but see what you think.

Old 02-14-2004, 08:26 PM   #3
steve-s

Could be fungus or lympho. To small to be sure but if you say they are white, most likely fungus. Best solution at this point is a few good water changes over the next few days to lower DOC and other possible contaminates. A few extra vitamin fortified foods heavy on spurlina content will also help. If that does not show improvement over the next week you might need an antibiotic. Maracyn II at double the dose for seven days.

Most times it will clear up on it's own when the water is clean and the foods are fortified the fish can fight it on it's own. In the smaller environment fish can be much more prone to these problems but I would not suggest moving the tang back to the display just yet

Cheers
Steve
Old 02-15-2004, 11:35 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Steve, you posts are always helpful and detailed

I did a water change today and will do another in a couple of days. I have some Seachem vitamin supplements that state they can be used to enrich food. Would this work?

Also, I have 3 green chromis in the same tank. Is this type of fungus something that could be transferred to them?
Old 02-15-2004, 01:38 PM   #5
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisz
I did a water change today and will do another in a couple of days. I have some Seachem vitamin supplements that state they can be used to enrich food. Would this work?
I am not aware of a SW vitamin product by Seachem. Could you post the name. Just want to be sure it has what you need.

Quote:
Also, I have 3 green chromis in the same tank. Is this type of fungus something that could be transferred to them?
Once one fish has the ailment the potential for others to get it is there. It has been my experience that it will not likely transfer to the others if they are otherwise healthy and able to fight the problem. With the increased water changes and vitamin feedings you should be able to avoid treatment. If not, be aware that the use of an antibiotic will destroy the QT's biological filter and you will need to do daily water changes to keep up with ensuing water parameters.

Cheers
Steve
Old 02-15-2004, 03:39 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I am not aware of a SW vitamin product by Seachem. Could you post the name. Just want to be sure it has what you need.
It is Seachem Reef Plus - Concentrated Vitamin and Amino Acid supplement. It says it can be used in food by mixing 1 mL in about 1 tablespoon of food.
Old 02-15-2004, 09:57 PM   #7
steve-s

It's not exactly what I would consider a good "all 'round" vitamin suppliment. You can try it and see if it has an affect but I have my doubts. I would actually suggest Zoe by Kent Marine. A much better product and heavy with spulina content.

Cheers
Steve
Old 02-22-2004, 09:45 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Well, I tried the vitamin supplement I had for a few days and then bought some Zoe. The Tang is doing well and the visible signs of the fungus are gone. The 3 chromis tank mates never got anything as far as I can tell.

Would it be safe to move the tang over to the main tank now or is this something where I need to wait a few weeks after the fungus is gone?

The 29 gal tank the tang is in is a bit small and the hithhiker crabs that are also in there are getting big. This would be stressful to me if I was in there When these crabs molt, they grow quite a bit.

Thanks
Old 02-22-2004, 12:39 PM   #9
steve-s

I would wait a full week until after the visible signs of the fungus are gone and then re-acclimate the tang back to the main tank. Keep doing a few water changes over that time as well too keep the water in the QT at optimum. Once the tang is back in the main tank, keep up with the Zoe daily for awhile longer and it should not return.

Keep the Zoe handy and be sure to add it's use to the regular feeding schedule a few times a week. That will help reduce/eliminate these isntances as well as keeping up with water changes.

Glad it all worked out

Cheers
Steve

Tags
eat

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com