Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-05-2004, 07:01 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry, but sometimes when I read your posts I can see you sitting there looking just like that.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 07:25 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

LMAO to to funny !! some say i can be a clown for sure its all good ! i just have weird sense of humor i guess

Old 07-05-2004, 08:05 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Please don't ruin it! That's YOU Keith!! :P

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 09:54 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Believe it or not, I'm walking on air. I never thought I could feel so Free..ee.ee.

I used to love Greatest American Hero when I was a kid.
Old 07-05-2004, 10:23 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

The only thing I add, besides changing the water weekly, is SeaChems's Marine Trace Elements every other week.
For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities...have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. (Romans 1:20)
johnkristie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 10:40 PM   #16
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkristie
The only thing I add, besides changing the water weekly, is SeaChems's Marine Trace Elements every other week.
Could be a possible suspect then if you do regular water changes. Might be one of the minor trace elements have become too high and are adversley affecting the shrimp. That's a complete shot in the dark though.

Personally I would never recommend any additions of these kind. They really aren't necessary.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-06-2004, 02:27 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

As the trace elements in the water get used and only replacing 10% of the water weekly I would think that the trace elements would be running at a deficit and would eventually be used up. So Steve, you think some of the trace levels may have gotten high enough to become toxic to the shrimp? What about the Alk and Ca?
For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities...have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. (Romans 1:20)
Old 07-06-2004, 11:41 AM   #18
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkristie
I would think that the trace elements would be running at a deficit and would eventually be used up.
You have no way of accurately determining that which is the biggest reason not to use them or at the least use sparingly. Think of it this way, if you look at the ingredient list on the bottle, try to determine which animals are using them and in what quantity.

Quote:
What about the Alk and Ca?
I asked you that earlier but you did not post the numbers. Both can have an affect on inverts if badly askew.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-06-2004, 06:41 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

They are not something that I currently measure. What should the levels be?
Old 07-06-2004, 07:42 PM   #20
steve-s

There is no real set level that should be strived for other than NSW levels. Typically an alk of 1.5-3 mEq/l (as high as 4) and a Ca level of 380-420 ppm (or as high as 450ppm) with a Mg level ((usually 1200-1350 ppm) of 3x that of the Ca. The most important part is to ensure they are all >>balanced<< within a certain range. Don't kill yourself looking for exact numbers though.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
deaths, eat, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com