Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-04-2004, 02:57 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Shrimp Deaths and Question

I've had a fish only tank for about 4 months and then added a cleaner shrimp and a blood shrimp along with some hermits and snails. The cleaner shrimp died about three weeks later. My blood shrimp lasted a bit longer, about 6 weeks. I check the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH levels every week and do weekly 10% water changes with natural seawater. All levels are always at zero except for nitrates which never get above about 15mg/L. Is this level too high for shrimp? All of my fish and hermits seem to be doing great! Is there something else I am not checking that could be a problem for shrimp? My system consists of a 200 gal tank with overflows down to a wet/dry. I never did find the cleaner shrimp, but I did see the blood shrimp postmortum. It looked as if nothing was wrong with it. Looked completely normal, except for being dead. One other thing I noticed prior to both of them dying was that their behavior changed. They both were hanging out in a totally different spot than they normally did and were acting strange, kind of just sitting there. What could be causing this?

For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities...have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. (Romans 1:20)
johnkristie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 07:46 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

how are acclimating them?? need to go very slow with them

Old 07-05-2004, 03:37 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I thought that if acclimation was a problem, the symptoms would show up a lot sooner than six weeks later. Especially considering how healthy the seemed right before their deaths. In both cases the day before they died, both were eating from my hand vigorously, virtually attacked my hand for the food!
For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities...have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. (Romans 1:20)
Old 07-05-2004, 03:44 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hi there. What exactly are your water parameters? SG, PH, etc.?
Old 07-05-2004, 10:06 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

were are you getting the natural sea water from ??
Old 07-05-2004, 12:21 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Are you sure they haven't just molted? When they go through this process there will be a ghost-looking replica of their bodies left behind. Just a thought...

In its great blue whales, hunted even to
between houses, an entire people was
dreaming of a less silent light.
BlueDolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 12:35 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I keep my SG at 1.023-1.024, pH at 8.2, temp at 79, other water quality parameters are listed in my original post. I live in San Diego and I get my natural seawater from Scripps Institute of Oceanography. They have a public access seawater tap that draws from 3/4 mile offshore in an underwater canyon, then it goes through a sand filter, then through a 0.2 micron fiber filter. Everything else in my tank is doing just fine. I can't understand it. It is definately not a molt. The blood shrimp had molted several times before this. Plus, I did take the body out and examine it. By the way Scuba Steve, where did you get that heinous picture? Is that Scott Baio's roommate from "Charles in Charge"???
Old 07-05-2004, 12:43 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
By the way Scuba Steve, where did you get that heinous picture? Is that Scott Baio's roommate from "Charles in Charge"???

I actually thought that was Steve.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 04:26 PM   #9
steve-s

Do you add any chems to the water? If so, how often and what kind?

Do you know the alk/Ca?

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-05-2004, 06:54 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

lol not sure if its his roommate or not but do you remember greatest american hero !! that was the site i got it from heheh one of the worst shows of the 80's so i thought it was funny
heheh did ya really 2cent thats even funnier hehehe

Tags
deaths, eat, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com