Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-15-2012, 12:19 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, that's a lot of salinity fluctuations in a short time. Inverts can't really handle that too well.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:25 AM   #12

That's definitely it. I'm really not cut out for saltwater. I have a gift for freshwater, but saltwater is tough for me. I don't think I'll get any more inverts since I'm terrible at maintaining a stable salinity. I'll just stick with my two fish and last hermit crab. I love that crab. I had five but they all died. And with all the inverts dying she's the single survivor.

Thanks for helping me figure this out everyone. Really appreciate your help.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:44 AM   #13
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Shrimp are very delicate and thrive better with salinity levels between 1.023 / 1.026
sudden changes in salinity and other water parameters will also affect a shrimp s activity and lifespan
Old 10-15-2012, 12:28 PM   #14

Then I won;t get any more shrimp because I can't maintain a stable salinity.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:40 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

By some chance have you checked your copper levels? Seems like if you are losing shrimp and snails, some copper could have made its way in somehow. Inverts and copper don't mix at all. Good luck and sorry for your losses.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:39 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Inverts are very sensitive, but the specific gravity isn't *too* low, IMO. I have a peppermint and a pistol that have handled 1.020 all the way to 1.028 with no problem. But at 82 degrees, they get very lethargic.
78-80 degrees fahrenheit. Drop the temp by 2 and see if that helps. Sidebar: when my temp rose to 82, the shrimps, snails, hermits, and corals ALL started to either die or act strange.
MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:47 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

How are you reading your salinity? If you are using a hydrometer make sure you tap the bottom when you test sometime air gets trapped under it. To go from 20 to 30 then 23 seems strange.whats your water source for top offs? I doubt it's temp mine always runs high South Fl and no a/c!
Old 10-17-2012, 10:51 PM   #18

I use a refractometer.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:04 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

That's a whole lot of salinity changes, what's the temp in ur tank? I have had my shrimp over over a year maybe even 2 now and my salinity is at a stable 1.022. Keep in mind not to have too much heat in ur tank and ur salinity needs to be more stable than that but with the fluctuations u have been having I would assume ur fish would be experiencing stress as well. If ur hydrometer is not working go to ur LFS and have them test it. If u purchased rock inside a tank instead of out of a box and depending on where u got it, it may have been inside a tank that was treated for ich. There is a filter you can purchase that will remove all copper traces from ur tank, if there is copper in it, you water will star to turn very blue and it should eliminate the ich from there
Old 10-18-2012, 02:05 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisc0930
That's a whole lot of salinity changes, what's the temp in ur tank? I have had my shrimp over over a year maybe even 2 now and my salinity is at a stable 1.022. Keep in mind not to have too much heat in ur tank and ur salinity needs to be more stable than that but with the fluctuations u have been having I would assume ur fish would be experiencing stress as well. If ur hydrometer is not working go to ur LFS and have them test it. If u purchased rock inside a tank instead of out of a box and depending on where u got it, it may have been inside a tank that was treated for ich. There is a filter you can purchase that will remove all copper traces from ur tank, if there is copper in it, you water will star to turn very blue and it should eliminate the ich from there
Err.. The copper

Tags
dyi, dying, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com