Shrimp Issues..help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nikki_kaiser

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Every shrimp I've ever had in my current tank has died. I've tried everything from floating the bag and adding water to drip acclimation. I realize they are sensitive so I acclimate for quite some time and slowly. Most of them will live for a few days and then die. I've had one live for about a month and die but that is the longest. I bought a fire shrimp 3 days ago and it was fine the first two days, then molted and died. My salinity levels are at .022. My amonia, nitrate, nitrite all 0. I have great pH of around 8.2 . I just dont get why I'm having issues. In the past, I could keep shrimp forever. I test my water every few days and I always keep the tank clean. My tank is almost 2 years old. Can anyone give me any advice? I really need these things to live and thrive!

I have a peppermint shrimp. Successfully thriving. Had no issues. How new or old is your tank? Your shrimp might not have enough to eat. They're scavengers. I first put mine in the refugium and got him hooked on brine and mysis shrimp. When I put him in the main display, I squirted brine in his face and he grabbed what he could. I do this about once a week now. The rest of the time, he just forages on whatever he finds. Hope that helps. Good luck.

This tank is almost two years old. I've never had issues until I bought this tank. I literally can't keep them more than a month at best.

I think it's salinity. 1.022 is too low. Ocean water is at about 1.026, which is what I keep my tank at, and have kept two peppermints going on six months.

crister13 said:
I think it's salinity. 1.022 is too low. Ocean water is at about 1.026, which is what I keep my tank at, and have kept two peppermints going on six months.

You have 2 shrimp living in your agressive tank? Woah! Haha

Here are pics.

Attachments

• image-2703056590.jpg
    image-2703056590.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 85
  • image-2817887043.jpg
    image-2817887043.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 91
Keeping salinity higher is your best bet. Inverts are more sensitive and require ocean simulated conditions. Low salinity is reserved for fish only tanks in an effort to keep away parasites. The ocean averages about 1.026 (35ppt) best measured with a refractometer. Swing arms are just too risky when you have to be spot on in a reef tank.

Well, my peppermint shrimp has thrived in mine with salinity at 28 1/2, specific gravity 1.021. But I might have a hardier type of shrimp. I also add iodine supplement. Heard that scrimp need it.

Salinity isnt the only thing to look at. Yes iodine does help with the molting process but you can overdo it. Most saltmixes have good enough lvls of iodine and if your not heavily stocked and do weekly/biweekly water changes then there is no real need for supplements. Adding trace elements without proper testing is risking problems long term.

Testing for copper would be a good idea. However if copper were present death would not take long, and other inverts would be affected. Although testing to be sure is always the best idea.

Shrimp are sensitive to changes. Bad water change procedures could also be a culprit. For example a significant swing in temp, ph, or salinity from fresh saltwater can not only stress but kill.

If your shrimp is molting it indicates one of two things. Either it is growing or it is stressed. Find out what is causing the stress and eliminate it. Stress can be caused from poor diet, other fish/inverts, living conditions, and parasites and disease. Look a bit closer perhaps

I am going to slowly raise my salinity levels. I used to keep them higher but the store that I bought some of my fish at keep everything low so I thought it would help if I did also. I clean my tank once a week, sometimes twice just for good measure. I will start tonight with raising the salinity up so I can do it at a reasonable pace. I have no traces of copper so I know that's not an issue. It sounds like the salinity level may be my problem.

Back
Top Bottom