Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-13-2012, 02:54 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Keeping salinity higher is your best bet. Inverts are more sensitive and require ocean simulated conditions. Low salinity is reserved for fish only tanks in an effort to keep away parasites. The ocean averages about 1.026 (35ppt) best measured with a refractometer. Swing arms are just too risky when you have to be spot on in a reef tank.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:50 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well, my peppermint shrimp has thrived in mine with salinity at 28 1/2, specific gravity 1.021. But I might have a hardier type of shrimp. I also add iodine supplement. Heard that scrimp need it.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:12 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Salinity isnt the only thing to look at. Yes iodine does help with the molting process but you can overdo it. Most saltmixes have good enough lvls of iodine and if your not heavily stocked and do weekly/biweekly water changes then there is no real need for supplements. Adding trace elements without proper testing is risking problems long term.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:37 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
What about testing for copper, could be a cause though I don't know your stock.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:53 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Testing for copper would be a good idea. However if copper were present death would not take long, and other inverts would be affected. Although testing to be sure is always the best idea.

Shrimp are sensitive to changes. Bad water change procedures could also be a culprit. For example a significant swing in temp, ph, or salinity from fresh saltwater can not only stress but kill.

If your shrimp is molting it indicates one of two things. Either it is growing or it is stressed. Find out what is causing the stress and eliminate it. Stress can be caused from poor diet, other fish/inverts, living conditions, and parasites and disease. Look a bit closer perhaps
Old 05-14-2012, 08:30 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I am going to slowly raise my salinity levels. I used to keep them higher but the store that I bought some of my fish at keep everything low so I thought it would help if I did also. I clean my tank once a week, sometimes twice just for good measure. I will start tonight with raising the salinity up so I can do it at a reasonable pace. I have no traces of copper so I know that's not an issue. It sounds like the salinity level may be my problem.

Tags
rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com