Shrimp not coming out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
My Fire shrimp spends most of his time in a hole in the rock in my tank, and when I feed my fish he usually runs out and climbs up the sides of the tank etc. to get some. I've had him for 2 months.

But, for the past 2 days, he's not moved out of the hole at all, even at feeding time. He wiggles his hands a bit etc., but isn't moving all that much.

My 35g tank is fine - SG 1.023, pH 8.3, amm/nitrite/nitrate 0, temp. 28°C. I'm going to get some sinking wafers tomorrow and place one outside the hole, to see if he's just over-hungry, But then again, if he was, he'd come out for food like he usually does wouldn't he?

I have an Ocellaris clown and Banggai Cardinal in the tank too. My shrimp's been molting approx every 3 weeks since I got him, and I think he's perhaps due for another molt.

Anyone any ideas to help?

I just did a 20% waterchange on Sunday. Haven't got an iodine testing kit though.

MarkW19 said:
But, for the past 2 days, he's not moved out of the hole at all, even at feeding time. He wiggles his hands a bit etc., but isn't moving all that much.

My shrimp's been molting approx every 3 weeks since I got him, and I think he's perhaps due for another molt.
Could be the shrimp has already molted and you just didn't see the exoskelaton. If that's the case they will be quite cautious about leaving their hiding spots until the new shell hardens. I'd give it a few more days before you worry.

Cheers
Steve

Okie - when he's molted before though, he's been straight out again the next day! Will see how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom