shrimp passing disease to fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emily

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just added 2 peppermint shrimp to my 36 gal tank 2 days ago. They have done a great job eating the glass anemones I had! But the day after I put them in I noticed my maroon clown running into the glass repeatedly. Then today I saw a white spot on the top fin of the fish. It is eating normally, still swimming around and there are no other marks on it, and my other fish don't seem to be affected (yellow tang and blue damsel). I didn't think that inverts were vectors for ick and other diseases, is that right? Does anyone have ideas on what this could be? Thanks for your help!

Inverts generally do not get ick but they can carry it on their shells and exoskeletons. You are supposed to qt inverts just like fish. Do you have a cleaner shrimp in your setup? They are a little expensive but are a great addition to your tank. The fish will actually go over and let the cleaner crawl all over them to clean any parasite off of their bodies.

He is right. The Shrimp will act as a cleaner and get rid of the parasite. Some day when you turn your lights out you might see that happen. They can only help. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom