Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-29-2004, 02:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

SHRIMPY NO! Possible murder suspects..

I just went to look at the tank, and noticed my Serpent Star having a large snack.. out of one of my Cleaner Shrimp!

I noticed the Cleaner Shrimp "fighting" over a piece of krill the other day, but they weren't really touching each other, just snatching the krill away. I gave them each their own piece, and they left each other alone. They seemed fairly happy with the situation, and shared the same spot on a piece of LR for a while.

Is it possible that one killed the other last night? Is it likely that I have something in the LR that's likely to take down the other? I can't really inspect the body as it's about 75% into my brittle star, more so all the time. Perhaps the work of the isopod that was unidentified and uncatchable?

The only other things in the tank (that I know of) is a 3" Firefish, Hermits & Turbos, and a Yellow Tang. As mentally disturbed as the Yellow Tang is, I can't see it attacking a Cleaner Shrimp (or anything, really).

Should the other one be removed? I don't think I'm going to replace the one I lost.. it and the other seemed very healthy, so it's gotta be something in my tank.

The other seems happy and is at the little cleaning station they set up, occasionally jumping onto the Tang, only to be quickly flung off. Is this a possible source of injury?

I feel a little sick to my stomach..

Old 10-29-2004, 02:37 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Quote:
my Serpent Star having a large snack
Quite possibly found red hanged um... i mean red legged if you know what I mean.

Cleaners will live with eachother with out much problems. Sure they will go crazy when food is around but this is their nature. About the only thing I can think of aside from the serpent star is that some rock shifted and the shrimp didnt get out of the way.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 02:42 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What are the chances it just molted?
Old 10-29-2004, 02:45 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
You would have to tell us. Did the uneaten part look like an empty shell of the shrimp or did it look like it acutally had the mass of the shrimp inside. Molts will have a faded coloration of the acutal shrimp but the molt will be somewhat transparent where as the acutal shrimp is not transparent.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 02:53 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
It was the butler in the pantry with the knife.

you should be able to find your shrimp pretty easy if he wasn't dead. possible culprit could also be a rouge hitchiker. Possible mantis shrimp or crab?
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 02:58 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Mine molt frequently, but don't stay hidden for long. I usually find the molts when I come home from work and the shrimp are back out swaying in the current. If he molted, he will show back up soon.
I have a banded serpent that has grown to almost a foot across. He has never bothered a thing.....so far. 8O
The mystery continues.........
Old 10-29-2004, 02:59 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I knew we should have fired him.

I was told that after a shrimp molted, he hid for a while. To be honest, it was kind of hard locating both of them even when I knew they were alive. They seemed to prefer the back of the tank to the front.

I haven't seen anything, but I'll keep an eye out.
Old 10-29-2004, 03:06 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've heard that a shrimp may consume a portion of his molted exoskeleton.. would it still be by it even with a mean old Serpent Star (Nowhere near a foot across.. more like five-six inches.. can hardly see it with murderous intent)? That portion of the tank is entirely obscured by other rock.
Old 10-29-2004, 03:32 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
The star certainly could eat the molt. I have seen my stars and one of my urchins chow a molt.
Quote:
Serpent Star (Nowhere near a foot across.. more like five-six inches
Hehe, give him time. Mine was about 5" a year ago when I got him. The funny thing is, I have another one that didn't grow at all ( similar, but different species).
Old 10-29-2004, 03:36 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've had this guy for a couple months now.. was tiny small when I bought him.

Climbs onto my hand more than the Cleaner Shrimp does/did/do. Cute now, less cute when he's a foot. Oh that'll be fun..

Tags
rim, shrimp, spec

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com