Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-12-2003, 10:35 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
Shriveling shrooms

My blue and pink shrooms have been doing poorly lately. Even after 30% water change. 'trate = 0, amm/trite = 0, pH 8.2, SP 1.024 @ 82F
Hairy shrooms are thriving. Seems to be only the "smooth" variety. I gave some to a friend who put them in a new tank and they are doing very well. I can't think of anything different I've done lately. THey seem to be doing a slow descent into extinction. Pink ones first, now the, formerly prolific, blue ones. Anyone else experience this?

Mark

Old 01-12-2003, 10:38 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Have you changed bulbs recently? What's close to them? Can you post a pic of them and their immediate area?

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 11:31 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Their position in the tank is irrevelevent, they are all ove the place. Good point on the bulbs, they are old.
Old 01-13-2003, 10:09 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I was chatting with Anemoneman lastnight and I am experencing a simular issue with my shrooms.

The blue shrooms in my 20 where doing great. Then I moved them from the side of teh tank to the center and they started to wilt. I moved them back and it did not help. I even moved them downstairs to the 80 and it still did not help.

I now have some new shromes growing back on that rock but many of the thriving shrooms faded in color and fell off.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 10:28 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

This is really strange, I have never known any shrooms to be this problematic.

Old 01-13-2003, 01:27 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

It's quite a problem in my tank. Hard to believe older MH bulbs would be the sole culprit. Other light loving corals are doing well. I have 3 kinds of gorgonian, green tree, brown finger leather, green star polyps, green hary mushrooms orange ricordia mushrooms, brown bullseye mushrooms (all these shrooms are not showing ill effects), unknown type of acropora, green frogspawn, pulsing xenia, various feather dusters, large population of vermatid snails, 3 colonies of button polyps, copious amounts of coraline, and of course a large, long tenticle anemone. Nothing looks sick except the pink and blue shrooms. The pink ones are almost gone, only 2 or 3 small nubs left.

Hmmmm!

Mark
Old 01-13-2003, 01:34 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

I agree it isn't likely the bulbs, they have fared well for a while reproduced etc...and if anything would appreciate the older less intense bulbs. I would expect this behavior if the bulbs had recently been replaced. Is it possible there is some chemical warfare going on that these shrooms are particularly affected by? Are you running any GAC? Could there be any predation going on? (I doubt it, unless the predator has something against pink and blue smooth shrooms).

Old 01-13-2003, 03:18 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

I ran some activated carbon for a few days last week. No noticable improvement. A little predation on the part of the frogspawn (sending out feeders) but there are mushrooms in other locations doing as badly.
Dunno...still looking for causes.
Old 02-07-2003, 12:31 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have same problem hairy mushrooms do great. Big elephant ear mushrooms (smooth ones) shriver up. If anything helps you please let me know thank you
Old 02-07-2003, 04:25 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to kribbz
i had a simalar occurance in my 20 gallon. i bought a rock covered in mushrooms and they did great for about 4 months then all the sudden one day it all changed. so i tried more light that didn't work, less light that didn't work. then I got my 65 gallon and put the rock in there but by that time there was hardly anything on the rock. now a few months later they are growing back everywhere else in the tank except for on that original rock. it was the weirdest thing

Tags
shrooms

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com