Shrooms not coming out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefmaster

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey, i got some shrooms, and they always seem to be shribbled up. one actually fell off of the rock, and is on another rock, i dont kno if it is alive or not. They HAVE sprouted once, and that about it. I always have my ph 8.2 and i add supplaments every day. My other coral, it has like tree brances with these little balls on the ends, has this like, stuff that looks like it is decaying and it has a hole in it. it is on the main part of the stem. there is alot of it, but it doesnt shribble up alot.

What kind of lighting do you have? The shrooms don't need extreme lighting. But they do move off the rock and relocate to other parts of the tank. Keep an eye on the ammonia levels to see if the tree is decaying.

I just did a water change a week ago, and my ammonia is 0 right now. I have 2 actninic 75 wat bulbs and 2 75 watt daylight bulbs. i keep lighting on about half the day.

reefmaster said:
i add supplaments every day.
What exactly are you adding and how much?

My other coral, it has like tree brances with these little balls on the ends, has this like, stuff that looks like it is decaying and it has a hole in it. it is on the main part of the stem. there is alot of it, but it doesnt shribble up alot.
Picture, coral species?

and my ammonia is 0 right now. I have 2 actninic 75 wat bulbs and 2 75 watt daylight bulbs.
What size tank and how are the nitrites and nitrates?

Cheers
Steve

My other coral, it has like tree brances with these little balls on the ends, has this like, stuff that looks like it is decaying and it has a hole in it. it is on the main part of the stem. there is alot of it, but it doesnt shribble up alot.

Sounds like some type of Gorgonia maybe....

p_89636.jpg

My tank is 29 gal and my nitrates and nitrites are at 0 also. I will upload the pic of the coral from my camera. I use magnesium, calicum, iodine, and strontium. They are made by reef pure.

reefmaster said:
I use magnesium, calicum, iodine, and strontium. They are made by reef pure.
So I guess my next question is what are the levels of these elements?

One of the worst habits to fall into in this hobby is adding things unneccessarily and without proper verification of current levels to determine if these additions are even necessary. No soap box intended. Most times they won't be in regards to iodine and strontium, both of which can quickly poison a tank.

Unless you have some scleractinians that deplete the CaCO3 in the system, none of the additions you are using will benefit the tank. They will in fact harm it. I would strongly suggest relying moreso on water changes for minor trace element corrections/additions.

Always remember, never add unless it can be verified through testing :wink:

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom