Sick Anemone!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newbc14

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 14 gallon Biocube and one sick looking anemone. About 3 weeks ago I went on vacation but left my neighbor in charge of feeding my tank every other day until I come back. However, when I returned the anemone looked like(Pic Below) this and has styed like this for the 3 weeks I have been home. It is always closed and has not come out. I have been trying to feed him but im not sure if he's been actually eating. Below are the before pics and the after pics. Can anyone help me?? :confused:
Before Picture
newbc14-albums-my-fish-tank-picture921-dsc00157.jpg

After Picture
newbc14-albums-my-fish-tank-picture1137-dsc00438.jpg

newbc14-albums-my-fish-tank-picture1138-dsc00443.jpg

Wow, definitely not happy.
What are you water parameters?
What kind of lighting?

I agree with Scott.
What lighting is it under?
What are you feeding it?
How often and how much each time?

Oh, "24 Watts 10,000K & Actinic " Nowhere near enough light!

I'm afraid that anemone is not going to make it in your tank.

After losing my second I will not get another. These creatures belong in the sea not in our tanks. They live much shortened lives in the confinement of our tanks.

I`m thinking your lighting also is the problem. What are your water test results.

I'm not really sure of the exact water parameters but my LFS said they they were perfect. About the lighting I have 24 Watt 10,000K & Actinic, and since it's a Biocube I can't really change them. About the feeding normaly my marron clown feeds it about 4-5 times a week but lately he's been ignoring the anemone so I've been trying to feed it with a syringe but I'm not sure if he's been actually eating it. if you think he's a lost cause, what should I do?

You`ll have to increase lighting if that is possible or return to the LFS. Be careful not to rip the foot if you do decide to take him back.

Take it back to the lfs if you can. They might not want it in the condition it's in.

Especially in a tank that small it's important that you have test kits on hand to test your water parameters. You need to be able to test for pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate at a minimum. You also need to be able to check the salinity or specific gravity of the water. A refractometer is best for that.

Thanks for all the suggestions. In time I would definitely want to upgrade my lighting with the nanocustoms kit but at the moment I don't have the money( I'm only 14). However, you are right that I need to have a test kit on hand, and I am going to get that as soon as possible. About removing the anemone what do you think is my best option as far as removing him from the rock, I really don't want to lose that rock.

You can use a turkey baster to blow fw (watch your salinity!) at the base/foot of the anemone and then use a fingernail or zip-tie to carefully dig under the tissue and very slowly peel it off the rock. The anemone may mucous, but there should not be any brown "liquid" coming from the base/foot which would otherwise indicate a tear in the tissue.

I think I'l try that method. By the way, for future reference, which of the the upgrade kits would you recommend?

Back
Top Bottom