Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-05-2011, 09:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Sick anemone

I have a 12gallon nano tank with green bubble tip anemone and a pair of clownfish for about 4months now. Everything was going along until I decided to get rid of a over run of aiptasia. Upon recommendation from the fish store I used joes juice and tried to keep it away from my bubble tip. I am now concerned because my bubble tip has quit eating and keeps inflating and shrinking several times a day. It now only partially inflates. is it possible I have damaged it with the joes juice and if so is there anything I can do to reverse the damage?

Old 03-05-2011, 09:49 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's a strong possibility. Have you done any water tests lately? How much light do you ahve on the tank? It could have been ammonia poisoning from the aiptasia deaths.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:59 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

My water tests are good. I was low on my ph and was told to use sea balance every other day and now my ph is moving up from 6.5 to7.5. My salinity seems to always be a bit high at 1.027 to 1.028. I have a viper light that is suppose to be sufficient for the anemone.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your pH is WAYYY too low. How long as it been like that? It's lower than my FW planted tank's pH...Which viper light? the 70watt one? How long has the tank been set up? Also what are your precise readouts I do not settle for "good". How much flow do you have?

Honestly 12g without a sump is horrendous for a nem....

ammonia
alk
nitrates
nitrites
ph
PO4

steps 1 and two are to bring your salinity down and pH up...
Old 03-05-2011, 10:11 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I am using the 5in1test strips. Nitrite and nitrate are at zero. Carbonite hardness is 240 and general hardness is 180. I believe it is. 70 watt viper.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:17 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You need to get the test tube water testing kits. The strips honestly aren't totally accurate. I've found this out the hard way btw lol
Old 03-05-2011, 10:23 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thank you for the advice. I will pick one up and retest. I have been told by a few people that it is hard to maintain a small saltwater tank....think I am finding this out the hard way.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:40 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

i use baking soda to raise ph if i ever need it and it works real well. Anemones don't do well in tanks especially new tanks. You should wait about a year before trying out a anemone. How many watts is your light??
0o.Kelsey.o0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:43 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

When you're getting a kit get the API master SW kit and get a phosphate and alk kit...

edit: I wrote fw at first...Although from what I garner, the reagents are the same.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:50 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thank you for the advice. I will pick it up tomorrow. The tank has been up for almost a year. My son recently upgraded to a 120 and gave me this tank. I have had it about 4 months and probably have had the anemone about 3 months. The light wattage is 70.

Tags
anemone, ick, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com