Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-31-2005, 01:46 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to jbro
water parameters Ok after WC. sg= 1.024 (where I always keep it), NH3 =0ppm, NH2- =0ppm, pH =8.0, NO3- =40ppm. Prior to WC, sg= 1.026, NH3 =.25ppm, NH2- =.25ppm, pH =7.8, NO3- =>40<80ppm. I feel better, but I'm off to get the GAC. I plan to use bag and place in front of overflow return in sump. That sound OK?

Old 01-31-2005, 01:50 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

FYI-
55gal main tank as room divider (3 sides), 20gal sump with Mag Drive 5, (2) Penguin PH, Remora HOB skimmer, 3" CC with 6lbs LS, 60lbs LR, 1 Pink damsel, 2 ocallaris clowns, yellow tang, neon gobi, hermits, 3 Peppermint shrimp, Blue Linckia Star, Orange Marble Star. Hitchhikers: (4) brown brittlestars, (4) emerald crabs, pencil urchin, britsle worms, feather dusters, plus sessiles (sponges) to ID.

And... I meant NO2-, not NH2-.

Old 01-31-2005, 09:24 PM   #13
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

It is good that you feel the way you do. Alot of times people wait to long to take the coral that is dying out of the tank. I`ve seen many a person foul up his tank by waiting too long. You did the right thing to save the rest of your tankmates. You are on the right road. Good luck
Old 01-31-2005, 09:52 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

It was a good decision this time. You are so right, melosu. He deteriorated rapidly enough that it was a no-brainer. But it got me to think long and hard about a QT tank.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:09 PM   #15
steve-s

A QT tank would not have done anything in regards to the anemone. In fact, any kind of moving them around typically just makes it worse. Not to be mean but your first consideration should be your water parameters. 20 ppm nitrates are far too high for a sensitive invert as this. The higher elevations are tolerated by some fish and mabye even a few soft coral species but not an anemone.

Get that straightend around, allow the tank some additional time to mature and mabye rethink the lighting(?). If you decide to attempt this in the far future, I would also suggest something a species a bit more tolerant like a BTA clone.

Cheers
Steve
Old 02-01-2005, 08:32 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-s
A QT tank would not have done anything in regards to the anemone. In fact, any kind of moving them around typically just makes it worse. Not to be mean but your first consideration should be your water parameters. 20 ppm nitrates are far too high for a sensitive invert as this. The higher elevations are tolerated by some fish and mabye even a few soft coral species but not an anemone.

Get that straightend around, allow the tank some additional time to mature and mabye rethink the lighting(?). If you decide to attempt this in the far future, I would also suggest something a species a bit more tolerant like a BTA clone.
Yes, steve. I agree I've been extemely patient up until now, and I have to get back into that frame of mind. I'm working with LFS on the nitrates and I've already upgraded my lighting. (2) PC 65w 50/50. Not the best, but still an upgrade. No additions for quite a while (except for an Orchid Dottyback). As far as the the far future for aemones, LFS keeps nice bubble tips. And, you are not being mean, it's called constructive criticism and it's welcomed anytime.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:15 PM   #17
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbro
I've already upgraded my lighting. (2) PC 65w 50/50. Not the best, but still an upgrade.
You might want to talk to the LFS about something different if you've got your mind set on a reef tank. Some low light softies and/or shrooms might do okay with a 2x65w set up but you really should look at a 4x65w if you want much more.

I don't think a BTA would be do-able under the exsiting lights.

Cheers
Steve
Old 02-02-2005, 09:24 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

You're right about that to, of course. I've read the minimum WPG for anemones is 4. My calculation for what I have now is 2 WPG.
I did start start out with the intention of FOWLR, but I am getting hooked on reefs. So, another chunk of change next paycheck.
On another note, the LFS is not a store, but local guy that services tanks. He helped me set up my sump. I trust his opinion, but he has the sump with nothing in it. I think I should add LR to help with the nitrates. That would increase my overall ratio of LR to water. What do you think?
Old 02-02-2005, 10:46 PM   #19
steve-s

It would add to your biological surface areas. Just be sure you leave room for equipment as well. Sumps are great for heaters, skimmers and other unsightly stuff that doesn't need to be in/on the tank.

Cheers
Steve
Old 02-02-2005, 10:59 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

I already have the PS and the heater in the sump. There is room for base rock. The sump is in the cabinet, therefore, in the dark.
Here is a pic of half the main tank. The half you don't see has the overflow box. Any reccomendations would be appreciated. I'll get you pics of the whole tank and the sump set up if you want. And thanks for sticking with this thread. I really want to do what's best for the inhabitants.

Jack
Attached Images

Tags
anemone, ick, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com