Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-22-2005, 01:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sick Anemone??

Calling Steve-S or anyone else who would like to chime in.

Three days ago my Rose BTA went on the move. It moved to the exact same spot where it split a few months ago, up high on the front glass of my tank. It looked like it was really trying to split but it has not accomplished that yet. Now it just has a big hole in it's side. What is going on with this thing? I have not seen this before.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadable_pics_006_580x434.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	1593   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadable_pics_004_580x434.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	1594  

Name:	uploadable_pics_002_580x434_151.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	1595  

Old 03-22-2005, 01:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

The first pic is from three days ago right after it moved. the last two are of the hole in it's side. My two clowns have been constatnly bugging it, could this have something to do with it?

Old 03-22-2005, 02:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you haven't already, I would try PM'ing Steve. Just in case he has it set to email him when a PM comes in. Maybe get a quicker response. I hope your anemone recovers.
Old 03-22-2005, 02:13 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

thanks fluff, I will try that. here is one more pic...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	uploadable_pics_001_580x434_153.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	1596  
Old 03-22-2005, 10:10 PM   #5
steve-s

I guess getting a picture of the mouth is out of the question?

It would really help in determining the problem. From what I can see, this actually looks like damage and not from splitting. The area looks torn at the foot area only and not the mouth outwards. Yes?

As far as your clowns are concerned, anything you can do to prevent them hosting will help immensely. I would also adjust your powerheads some. It looks quite "weather beaten".

Cheers
Steve
Old 03-22-2005, 11:08 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks for the reply Steve. the foot seems to be intact. The hole is more on the "stalk" of the anemone. When I got home from dinner, the anemone had moved to a spot on the substrate and a low rock an attatched itself there. I can not get a good pic of the mouth but it is pinched in towards the center. It is shaped almost like an 8. I was thinking the hole looked more like a tear as well. Any ideas how it could have gotten it? Maybe from moving around on the rock. Nothing has been seen picking on it. Here is the most recent pic...
Old 03-22-2005, 11:09 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry, could not attach it from the quick reply...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	uploadable_pics_001_580x434_131.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	1607  
Old 03-23-2005, 11:52 AM   #8
steve-s

Unfortunately Brian the pictures are not telling much. The figure 8 shape you decsribe could be from splitting or from being twisted about. Without actually seeing the mouth, it's hard to tell. When they split, it will start from the mouth and work it's way outward and down towards the foot. The retractor muscle in the earlier pics looks more like a gash. The wound could have been caused by anything but I highly doubt it was from simple movement over the rock.

Do you have any cowries in the tank or open water intake ports?

I guess only time will tell which of the two it is.

Cheers
Steve
Old 03-23-2005, 02:13 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Do you have any cowries in the tank or open water intake ports?
No, it is a reef ready tank with internal overflow that the anemone has not gotton into. I will see if I can get a better look at the mouth but I do not want to disturb it. It seems to have found a place it is comfortable. If it is a tear, prognosis?
Old 03-23-2005, 08:19 PM   #10
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by lando
If it is a tear, prognosis?
50/50 on the survival really. If a tear, it might try to split in a last ditch effort for survival which is more often the case. In that type of scenario, only the healthiest clone typically survives though.

You'll end up knowing one way or the other eventually, one outcome being more favorable than the other for sure. I would not suggest you disturb it (for the pic) at all if possible. There is nothing that can be done to aid it otherwise so no need to add to the problem.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
anemone, ick, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com