Sick Anemone Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dcgray125

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hello,
I have a 125g aquarium, did a water test and only the calc is low. I added the calc additive today. Here are some pictures of my anemone, can someone tell me whats wrong??
thank you

download 8-10 101.JPG

download 8-10 100.JPG

download 8-10 099.JPG

download 8-10 098.JPG

Hard to tell with it being inside a Mason jar. Calcium has absolutely no affect on an anemone.

Best place to start is to provide us with as much information as you can.

water parameters
Light info
type of anemone
when you got it

Anything else that you have noticed that you think might be relavent. As cccapt said it is difficult to see in the jar. Best thing for it right now is to put it back in the display and don't mess with it. See if you can get some pictures once it is back in the display.

ok, here goes, and thank you so much!!
125 gallon
45 gallon sump
Cal=350
KH=125.3
Phoso=0.0
Nitrate=7.5
Lights=MH 150w specific for aquariums
Water temp 80
Salinity 26

1 Purple Tipped Sebae Anemone (1 month ago I got it)
3 feather dusters
2 O'Cellaris Black clown fish
2 soft corals
2 emerald crabs
1 yellow-tail Damsel
3 Blue Green Chromis
1 Diadema Pseudochromis
1 Magenta Pseudochromis
1 Turbo Snail
1 Varia Stomatella Snail
1 Horsehoe Crab
3 Hermit Crabs
1 Sand Sifting Star
sandbed and about 20 lb cured live rock

I hope this helps oh and 10 hrs lighting a day

Water parameters are ok, even the Calc at 350 is fine (on the low end).

Not much LR in the tank, but nitrates are acceptable too.

Are you feeding it?
Has it moved around the tank?

Acclimation to aquarium life can be very difficult for the sebae anemone, They also tend to be Difficult to keep in captivity.

IMO we should not try to keep anemones in our tanks. They are much better off left in the ocean where their lifespan is indeterminiate (30+ year - infinite - nobody knows).

Salinity seems low to me. I was under the impression that inverts liked salinity more near 35, no?

26 seems okay for fish only, but Id imagine inverts being happier with a salinity closer to that of natural seawater.

Another idea is that the salinity of 26 was not intended and some mixup may have QUICKLY brought it that low. This possible swing would likely stress the nem out.

No?

Matt

Agreed with the above posts. Also, I'm a bit of a lighting freak so it might just be me, but one MH for a 125 seems like not even close to enough. How high off the water is the light?

Back
Top Bottom