Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-18-2010, 02:15 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

sick anenomie/puking?

i have recently added a new buble tip anenomie to my tank i had did the acclimation, an had the water tested... the first few days it took well to the tank, but now i am seeing wat looks like the inside of th anenomie.
in the last two days it started i noticed that when the lights are off that it is fully expanded and the insides are almost un visible, but when the lights come on then it starts to shrivel haf way closed an begins to show the insides again.. it will fully expand later one it adjusts to the lighting being on.
so the question i guess is..
am i poisioning it with the light, is it hungry, is it sick, what should i do to reverse what it is doing
i will upload some photos for you to see in my album

Old 03-18-2010, 02:51 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Going to need a lot more info here...

Tank size? Type and Wattage of lighting? Actual water parameters (salinity, pH, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temperature, etc)? How long has the tank been set up and what else is in there?

Old 03-18-2010, 02:17 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

salinity- 1.025
lighting-onw attintic, full spectrum t2 bulbs
nitrites- 0
nitrates- roughly 10
temp- 78
ammonia-

it has been set up since bigining of november... an i recently added it bout 5 days ago...
i have some: pulsing xenias,
a rock anenomie,
a bleeny ,
a turbo snail,
a cleaner shrimp,
a blue legged crab, 3 red legged ones,
an some button polyps,
an a blue saphirre damsel,

however i am taking out the bleeny an blue damsel due to my tank only being 10 gal...
Old 03-18-2010, 03:00 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

With only a 10g tank, 4 months old, you really should consider taking out the anenome too.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:26 PM   #5
Algae Fighter

Send a message via MSN to JustOneMore20
I agree with Ray. It doesn't sound like your tank is mature enough or that you have enough light to support the anemone. I would try to rehome it and maybe try again later with a larger, more established tank.

JustOneMore20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:54 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm not familiar with T2 lighting, and not sure how many Watts we're talking about... but I'd guess that this isn't going to be enough. You're definitely not "poisoning" it with your lighting. More than likely, it wants more... or was not in good shape to begin with.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:08 PM   #7
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

You sure thats not t12 lighting? t2 would be 1/4" diameter bulbs... not something i've ever seen or heard of

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:14 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Flake
a quick google turned up this, which I don't think speaks highly for the nem surviving....

T- 2 Aquarium Lamps and Fixtures

• 7 mm Diameter
• 13 watt lamp approximately 19 inches (49 cm) (the fixture is 21-1/4 inches)
• Very Low Profile
• Axial type Wedge base
VHO/ 82 CRI
• 13 watt, 6400 K, 950 lumens; 73 LUMENS PER WATT which is 70% more lumens per watt than most bulbs, making this one of the best planted aquarium bulbs available!
Even a T5 Light does not have this output per watt, only LEDs are more efficient!
• Now Available; Actinic Blue T2
• For freshwater OR saltwater use (excellent for SW zooanthellic/symbiotic algae growth), or even home lighting too for economical space saving healthy full spectrum lighting.
• A LOT of light from a very small lamp that takes up little space! In fact one 13 watt T2 produces as much light as two comparable 6400 K 15 watt CFLs (13 watts vs. 30 watts for the same light!) Click on the picture to the left for a comparison.
• 10,000 hour lamp
• Great for DIY applications in hoods where space is a premium!
Old 03-18-2010, 08:34 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not barring what is already stated above, your anemone only has one means of eating and expelling it's waste. It takes food in and poop comes out the same opennig after digestion.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:32 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Follow up on sick anenomie

thanks for all ur guys help how ever it didnt make it.. luckyly i took it out in time before he expelled any toxins so i think

Tags
ick, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com