Sick Bangaii Cardinal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdellin

Aquarium Advice Addict
I noticed this spot on my cardinal fish today. He's eating normally, but this sore looks terrible and I think it's gotten a little worse since this picture was taken.

I'm trying to catch him to put him in the sick tank, but I'm not sure I'm going to be able to. I may have to treat the whole tank, but I'm not even sure that's feasible. Any advice would be appreciated.

The tank is a 125G tank, and I have three clown fish, a pajama cardinal, a talbots damselfish, a lawnmower blenny, anchor corals, colt coral, a long tentacled anemone and a bunch of polyps and mushrooms. I need to know if treating the tank would hurt any of these. I know I can't use copper, but I'm hoping someone can tell me what this sore looks like and what to treat with.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that all water perameters are normal, except the nitrates are a little high, but they're always the same, have been for years. Also, I read the Maracyn-Two info an apparantly it is not toxic to inverts????? So if I can't catch him, I could treat the whole tank? (I would need 12 tablets the first day and 6 tablets for days 2-5. I can't imagine having to treat the whole tank!) I have Melafix as well, and it states it's safe for the bio-filter in the sand bed and for inverts. Melafix Marine is supposed to be safe for corals. I can get that one today if ya'll think it's safe.

img_969021_0_099bb1ff5ecc6bedbc7763b687583f4a.jpg

Never treat the main tank that has corals/inverts... even if the stuff says it's "reef safe." Period. Any of the antibiotics can wipe out your beneficial bacteria. The medicine itself won't harm the inverts, but the aftermath probably will.

Bangaiis aren't the smartest fish in the ocean, so if you're patient I think you'll be able to catch him. I know... easy for me to say since I'm not the one doing the catching.

Regarding the injury... can't tell for sure, but looks like some kind of bacterial infection. But it's just a guess. One of the fish docs around here will probably be able to give you better advice on treatment... but I wouldn't treat the main tank.

Back
Top Bottom