Sick Blue Tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrettyFishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
Can someone id this and offer some advice ?

Attachments

• image-3388743352.jpg
    image-3388743352.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 133
  • image-90717224.jpg
    image-90717224.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 116
  • image-2980768172.jpg
    image-2980768172.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 121
Also what are youfeeding him and how often? Are there seaweed sheets available for the tangs?

Yeah...looks like HLLE and/or a nutrition issue. How is the yellow doing? I'm guessing this is the 125g reef?

Agreed HLLE or "hole in the head". Poor nutrition. Feed a lot of nori and meaty foods. Go get some "Rod's food" or make your own. You can arrest this, but some of the damage is irreversible.

My nitrates are 20ppm, PH 7.7 (been battling)I have nori but haven't been feeding them that enough. I'm guessing the marine one meat and veggie pellets aren't sufficient?

i feed my tangs green/purple algae sheets 3-4 times a week

**EDIT** this is as a supplement to my main diet, which consists of 4 frozen foods, and New Life spectrum pellets

You must feed variety. In the wild, they get quite a bit of everything. One pellet or flake food will not suffice.

To fatten that tang up Iwould suggest some pemysis. It is fullof protein, much more than regular mysis. I would also add brine shrimp, some blooworms and some emerald entree to the mix. PLUS make sure there are seaweed sheets available as much as possible.

I make my own food. I go to the supermarket and buy a little shrimp, clam, squid, and whatever else (be careful of the fatty fish like salmon and tuna, they leave a lot of oil in the water) and grind it up in a food processor, then put it in ziplocks and roll them flat with a rolling pin or can and freeze them.
I also add some cyclo-peeze to the mix. Some add nori to it as well.

I feed this to my LPS corals and to my fish.

There are products at the LFS that are very similar. Most have heard of "Rod's Food". There is also another called "5 Star Reef Bar", which is made by someone I know and trust.

Making your own is the cheapest, and If your wife doesn't mind you using the "la machine", you are good to go ;)

Ive always wanted to make my own food but im so scared that it wont be nutritionally sufficient

My food has been nutritionally superior to store bought, and that's not speculation. I have healed up multiple tangs with HLLE feeding them my foods. Bottom line is the store bought flake and pellets are not good enough. Not good enough to be fed exclusively, at least.
If you still have concerns, buy a bottle of selcon and put some of that in your batches.

Trust me, your tank will look better, be cleaner, and your fish will look better feeding fresh frozen mixtures of food grade ingredients.

I make my own food. I go to the supermarket and buy a little shrimp, clam, squid, and whatever else (be careful of the fatty fish like salmon and tuna, they leave a lot of oil in the water) and grind it up in a food processor, then put it in ziplocks and roll them flat with a rolling pin or can and freeze them. I also add some cyclo-peeze to the mix. Some add nori to it as well. I feed this to my LPS corals and to my fish. There are products at the LFS that are very similar. Most have heard of "Rod's Food". There is also another called "5 Star Reef Bar", which is made by someone I know and trust. Making your own is the cheapest, and If your wife doesn't mind you using the "la machine", you are good to go ;)

Just Cyclopeeze and nori? What about vitamin?

Fish live healthy lives in the ocean with just a varied diet and no supplemental one-a-day's, so I don't feel the need to add them to my food.
I use a pretty good variety of sea creatures in the mix. I do not use nori in my mix, because I also feed this to my corals and don't feel it's necessary if it's hanging there on my tank glass as well.

I use the frozen bar of cyclo-peeze, but I imagine either will work fine.

Turns out my lfs gets food from a local nc fisherman full of everything plus nori and selcon. Just bought some and fed the tank.

New skimmer's breaking in, did a 25% pwc two days ago and the filter sock is grabbing all kinds of gunk. I'm in my way back from the brink.

Back
Top Bottom