Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-01-2005, 09:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to pcbboy32404
Sick Carpet Anenome

I'll try to attach a picture but my carpet anenome seems to be dying, i have tried feeding it shrimp, fish, and some pellet food. Doesn't seem to eat at all. A convict clown has hosted to it but never feeds it. Just need some help with this one. Any advice would be appreciated. I did a 20-25 gallon water change 2 days ago.

Thanks

Old 01-01-2005, 11:11 PM   #2

pic link

the link doesn't show the pic heres a direct link

http://www.swkvideo.com/fishpage.htm

Old 01-02-2005, 01:17 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

If that pic is on your server you need to make it world accessible. I got ...

"Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /images/PICT0183.JPG on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request. "

when trying to view it.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 02:47 AM   #4

bump
Old 01-02-2005, 11:40 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

What kind of lighting do have on that tank?
Carpet anemones need MH lighting from my understanding.
Old 01-02-2005, 02:09 PM   #6

I've got 2 Actinic 115watt bulbs, and 2 white 115watt bulbs, and they are set to run for 10 hours per day. Fish store that I buy from says that is enough lighting for them. I tested the water today and Amonia, PH, Salinity, Nitrate, Nitrite, levels are all normal or within tolerance. Used Red Sea Marine Lab for tests.
Old 01-02-2005, 03:47 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

What size (gallons) and dimensions are the tank?
Are those VHO lights?
Are you sure the bulbs are 115w and not 110w?
WPG or watts per gallon is an oft used measurement for lighting
Quote:
Amonia, PH, Salinity, Nitrate, Nitrite, levels are all normal or within tolerance.
Please post actual numbers for all parameters

How long have you had the anemone?
How long has the tank been running?
What else is in the tank, livestock, filtration, etc.?
Old 01-02-2005, 05:02 PM   #8

Your right they are 110. 2 Actinic Blue and 2 Actinic White with a coral vue ballast. And yes they are VHO lights and also T12 connectors. The tank is a 75Gal and has been up for over a year now.

Amonia 0
Nitrite .2
Nitrate High 25 Low 5.0
Salinity 1.022
pH 7.8
Alk Low

1 Picasso Trigger
1 Damsel
Toadstool
Xenia
Fingertip Sponge

Emperor 400 Biowheel
Red Sea Prizm Deluxe Skimmer
15w UV Sterilizer
2 Powerheads
Titanium Heater
Tank remains constant 78 degrees

I bought the Carpet about 2 weeks ago. My other tube anenome has died also this morning. The only thing that is different than 2 weeks prior, is I did a 25 gal water change a couple of days ago and I bought some shrimp from local seafood market to feed both anenome's. Could they have been poisoned from the shrimp? It was caught in the Gulf of Mexico.

I will post more pictures to the above link in the next few minutes.
Old 01-02-2005, 11:21 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

If they were fresh shrimp sold for human consumption I doubt they did any damage. Did the anemone eat the shrimp?

You salinity seems low to me. Try raising it slowly over a period of a week or longer to 1.024-1.026.

Also your pH is low. What time of day is that reading from? If it's before the lights come on, take a pH reading after the lights have been on for several hours. Otherwise you need to raise that pH.

Alk is low? What is low? Do you have a measurement (dKH or meq/L)?

I asked one of the advisors to check this thread and help you out.
Old 01-03-2005, 02:09 AM   #10

The alkalinity card i have doesn't have any numbers its just a 3 section bar chart Low, Normal, and High. Mine is at the very low side. No measurement. The shrimp were fresh from that days catch. I don't think he ate the shrimp though. The darn clown keeps froliching around on him. Not sure if thats doing him any good. I should quarantine him, but don't have a separate tank. I could build an acrylic cage for him though that water can pass through. I took the readings about mid day, that being lights being on for at least 5 hours. By the way appreciate all the help didn't expect a response this quick. You can tell by the pictures that I had a bad outbreak of Green hair algae and that was the reason for the water change, also tank is being medicated for phosphates with ALGONE, its been floating in the tank for about 2 weeks now. It claims that it is safe for reef tanks. I cleared a spot in the sand down to the glass and placed the anenome there today and he has attached himself to the glass. Also his mouth inards have retracted back into him alot. I have noticed too that whatever has changed in the tank has affected my Toadstool also, his "feelers" if you will haven't been out for a few days now. Also my Xenia looks a little different, still hearty but have some black spots on them. I wonder if somehow a chemical wasn't introduced to my tank somehow. Not sure what to think but any more help is greatly appreciated. If anything I may just return him to the store and see how he fairs back their and just get store credit. But I would rather keep him if I can make him happy.

Tags
anenome, carpet, carpet anenome, ick, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com