sick chromis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dianeww

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have one blue reef chromis which has developed a white fungus-looking patch on one side near his face. His tail fin is also a little shredded. He is currently in a 20 gallon hospital tank which is being treated for ich at sg 1.009. Also in the tank are 3 other healthy chromis, a 3 inch hippo tang, and an o. clown. There is no longer any sign of ich. Can someone tell what this is and what I should do about it? It's the best picture I could get, I know it's not good.

Parameters as of last night: NH3 0.0, NO2 0.0, NO3 a shade above 10.0, temp 81.

Attachments

• FISH PICTURE FORUM.jpg
    FISH PICTURE FORUM.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 66
The picture is a little hard to tell. It kind of looks like a fungal problem.. Does it look like stray white tufts of cotton or does it look like heads of cauliflower.

I would say nothing like cauliflower. More like cotton, but not anything big. Cottony, but it also looks like maybe the cottony is leaving, leaving eroding flesh. Make sense?

Oh no, another chromis has a bit near his eye! :(

It sure does sound like a fungal problem. I would QT and treat with pimafix. I have had some success with that before.

Thanks, as I said above, all my fishes are already in QT at the moment, in hypo treatment at SG 1.009. Will this have any effect on the usefulness of the pimafix? Will someplace like petco have pimafix?

Yes they will have it but I would wait till the hypo is over first unless someone thinks it would be OK. One Stress at a time I guess. Dont mix treatments IMO.

Thanks so much Mike! Does anyone else have a thought about using the pimafix in the hospital tank @ 1.009? They've been in the hypo for 3 weeks now. I don't want the fungus to kill them before I can treat! :(

How are the eyes, any cloudiness to any of them? Fungal infections are considered rare in sw aquaria, often misidentified as to what usually is bacterial. I would begin with Nitrofurazone (Furan products) or Minocycline (Maracyn 2). I'm sure I've given dosages if you 'Search' the forums or just follow instructions on the medication.

Back
Top Bottom