Sick Clown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Susie Q

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok I got a clown fish today, I just finished getting it in the tank and he seems to be breathing heavy, all my prams are good. and just did a 20% water change. Is there anything else I can do?

If you just finished getting it in the tank it is probably just stressed from the move. Did you acclimate the clown? I would just give him a couple days and make sure you water stays in good shape unless you see other signs of illness (small spots, discoloration, that sort of thing)

Did you acclimate the clown? I would just give him a couple days and make sure you water stays in good shape unless you see other signs of illness (small spots, discoloration, that sort of thing)
He has little white spots that he didn't have when I brought him. Any suggestions?

If you just finished getting it in the tank it is probably just stressed from the move. Did you acclimate the clown? I would just give him a couple days and make sure you water stays in good shape unless you see other signs of illness (small spots, discoloration, that sort of thing)

I used the drip acclimate method over a 2 hr period of time.

White spots usually = ich (Cryptocaryon). Do a search on Hyposalinity and there should be plenty of procedures and links, if that is the case.

Clownfish are generally not prone to Ich so my guess is Brooklynella which is a type of Ich. Have you noticed increased slime production?
If you notice a whitish, tan to golden colored powdery or dusty appearance on the body then it's probably Oodinium.

Do the hypo treatment in a QT and make sure to QT all new fish in the future.

This is the first fish to be introduced, correct?
If not, all fish must be treated in QT for a 6 -8 week period to make sure the parasite dies in the main tank (no host) and in the QT tank (low salinity).

Good luck.

I did two freshwater dips 12 hours appart. The spots are gone and hes swimming all over the place, athough he always goes back to the roock cliff. I had to put the damsel into another tank do to aggression, its going to the lfs tommarrow.

He has little white spots that he didn't have when I brought him. Any suggestions?

White spots sound like ich to me. Brooklynella looks very different: rapid breathing, slimey appearance, and sloughing skin.

FW dips do not cure Ich. Some but not all of the parasites will drop off during a FW dip. The dip is also quite stressfull on the fish. Did you adjust pH and temp to that of the tank before the dip?

Please read the article on Hyposalinity Treatment and follow it for a cure.

I agree, your tank probably still has ich in it. They fall off during the night and lay on the substrate/LR and re-infest the next day. I'm definitely not a fan of the FW dips, as I have seen plenty of folks cure it by hyposalinity.

Back
Top Bottom